School of Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration
Art and Science of Aging Conference
February 8, 2013
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: Loosemore Auditorium
More Information: http://gvsu.edu/gerontology/
The Age of Empowerment
2013 Art & Science of Aging conference:
- Featured Speaker, Thomas H. Perls, M.D., MPH. Director of the New England Centenarian Study, Boston University
Morning Breakout Sessions include:
- Exceptional Longevity: Lessons Learned on the Way to 100, Thomas D. Perls, MD, MPA Moderator
- Centenarian Panel - Jack Bates, 95; Lillian Hansen, 101; John Molhoek, 100; Virgil Westdale, 94;
- Why are so many Advance Directives Useless? [Ethics] Paul J. Reitemeier, Ph.D.
- The Challenging Complexities of Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders, Karen Schmitz Bugg, RN, LMSW
- Movement as Medicine:Walking for Life, Jolene Moore, M.Ed., Richard (Dick) Graves, DD
- Buddhist Empowerment and Life Transformation, Douglas Chung, Ph.D., MSW
- House & Home: The Next Step (PANEL), Charles (Chuck) Jaquith, Ph.D. Moderator, Linda Likely, MPA Janet Amato, BS Douglas Hale, BA
- LAFF JEST FOR THE HEALTH OF IT!!!, Sister Sue Tracy, OP, MA, Chaplain
- Fraud Targets: Senior Citizen SCAMS, Bryan D. Reeder, JD
- Vintage Status: Powered and Empowering [CC], Elaine Ragsdale Schott, Ph.D., MSW
- Food Matters: Healthy Choices for Body and Brain, Priscilla J. Kimboko, Ph.D.
- Empowered for the Dementia Caregiver Journey, Suzann Ogland Hand, Ph.D; Cathy Brady, LMSW, Chris Simons, BS, CTRS Joy Spahn, MPA
- Well-being and Resilience of the Older LGBT Person: Issues for Family, Community and Health Providers, Grace Hoyer, Ed.D. Candidate, MSN
- Exploring Community Options to Age in Place, Suzanne Filby-Clark, BA, Care Management Services Director, Laura Dobrzelewski, LMSW Julie Alicki, LMSW Martha Anderson, LMSW
- Joys of Sex and Sexuality in Later Life, Lihua Hang, Ph.D., MSW Linda Kirpes, MSW, Certified Gerontologist, Alisha Cowell, MSW Student
- Making Your Voice Heard, Tom Appel, MA, MPA
Registered participants enjoy a BUFFET LUNCHEON.
The conference is underwritten in part by support from the GVSU Provost’s Office and a grant from MSU’s GERIATRIC EDUCATION CENTER OF MICHIGAN