Mission, Vision, Values
The School of Communications
Through the integration of liberal and professional education, the School of Communications educates students to possess essential communication skills and to be critical, self-reflective communication professionals, artists, and contributing members of society.
Vision of the Future
The School of Communications (Sch/Com) will be known for its rigorous programs, culture of inquiry and achievement, innovative pedagogical practices, and graduates who are successful in their chosen fields.
The Sch/Com will enhance educational quality by:
- Attracting and retaining diverse, exceptional, and highly qualified faculty, staff, and students.
- Increasing interdisciplinary collaboration in students products, as well as between faculty in Sch/Com majors and with other units in the university.
- Infusing the curriculum and unit activities with international and intercultural perspectives.
- Providing for flexible and consolidated facilities that help to prepare students for practice in rapidly changing communications fields.
- Supporting appropriate current and emerging technologies and enhancing student’s critical competencies in their use.
- The School of Communications is founded upon a principle of the integration of liberal and professional education, and theory and practice.
- We value communication as a multidisciplinary, as well as interdisciplinary, field of inquiry and professional practice.
- We value maintaining a strong presence in the General Education program in order to provide access to essential skills and theory in communication.
- We value an education that prepares graduates to be intellectually aware and professionally prepared.
- We value face-to-face instruction and interaction, individual attention to each student, and smaller class sizes for effective learning.