Mission, VIsion, Values
The School of Communications
Through the integration of liberal and professional education, the School of Communications educates students to possess essential communication skills and to be critical, self-reflective communication professionals, artists, and contributing members of society.
Vision of the Future
The School of Communications (Sch/Com) will be known for its rigorous programs, culture of inquiry and achievement, innovative pedagogical practices, and graduates who are successful in their chosen fields.
The Sch/Com will enhance educational quality by:
- Attracting and retaining diverse, exceptional, and highly qualified faculty, staff, and students.
- Increasing interdisciplinary collaboration in students’ products, as well as between faculty in Sch/Com majors and with other units in the university.
- Infusing the curriculum and unit activities with international and intercultural perspectives.
Facilities will be flexible and consolidated, and will prepare students for practice in rapidly changing communications fields. Facilities will also support current and emergent technologies and enhance student competence in their use.
- The Sch/Com is founded upon a principle of the integration of liberal and professional education and integrating theory and practice.
- Communications is a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary field of inquiry and professional practice.
- The Sch/Com values maintaining a strong presence in the General Education program in order to provide a strong communications skill set.
- The Sch/Com prepares graduates to be intellectually aware and professionally prepared.
- Face-to-face instruction and interaction, individual attention to each student, and smaller class size is key to effective learning.
Page last modified February 22, 2010