Is it OK to be undecided?
Approximately, 70% of all students are undecided at one time during their academic career.  Grand Valley has many people, programs and courses to help you make the decision that is right for you.  So, yes, it is OK to be undecided.  Grand Valley’s general education curriculum is designed to provide students exposure to a sampling of academic areas while earning credit towards graduation. Students have time to explore majors through the general education curriculum as well as taking classes that may be of interest to them.

What is my first step as a Pre-major (undecided) student?
Your first step is to meet with your Pre-major advisor. You can find out who your advisor is by going to www.gvsu.edu, click on Current Student, Student and Financial Aid, Registration, and then View Major and Academic Information. Your Pre-major advisor will connect you with the appropriate resources to help you start the process of choosing a major.

How long can I remain as a Pre-major (undecided) student?
Though Grand Valley does not require you to choose a major by a certain time, most pre-major students declare a major during their sophomore year. 

What courses will I be taking while a Pre-major (undecided) student?
You will be completing your general education courses that are needed for a degree at Grand Valley regardless of your major. We would also encourage you to take introductory courses in various fields of study thereby exposing you to a variety of majors

How do I declare my major?
From Grand Valley's homepage at www.gvsu.edu under Current Students select the MyBanner link. Log into MyBanner and then select these links: Student, Student Records, and Change Major. Follow online instructions.

Do I need a minor?
Most majors at Grand Valley do not require a minor.  A discussion with your academic advisor can help you determine if the major you are considering requires a minor or if a minor is appropriate and beneficial for you.

Who will serve as my academic advisor once I have chosen a major?
You will be assigned a faculty advisor  and or a professional advisor within the major you choose to serve as your academic advisor.

Page last modified July 17, 2014