Registered Student Organization Handbook

Tax Exempt Status

Tax Exempt Status/Tax Identification Number

Student Organizations are not automatically classified as non-profit or tax-exempt entities.  An organization must make proper application to the Internal Revenue Service for its own tax-exempt status.  Most student organizations will not qualify for non-profit tax-exempt status, but will still need a tax ID number to have an off-campus bank account.

Student Organizations are NOT authorized to use Grand Valley State University's tax-exempt identification number for purchasing or donation purposes. 

In order to purchase items tax-free, the organization must purchase goods through the Office of Student Life. 

If a person or business wishes to get tax credit for a donation (cash or goods and services) to an organization, it must make the donation through the University Development office to GVSU and specifically designate the donation for the organization.

Consult with Krista McFarland, Student Life Assistant, for assistance with IRS applications, purchasing goods tax-free, or processing donations to your organization.  She can be reached at 331-2345 or

Return to the Table of Contents.

Page last modified March 25, 2014