Student Organization Violations
- Academic Standards: A student organization is operating with multiple members who do not meet academic standards.
- Alcohol: Alcohol use in public areas by individuals, groups of individuals or organizations will not be allowed except by written permission from the Dean of Students or designee. The "Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy Handbook" can be found here.
- Copyright/Logo Misuse: A student organization is incorrectly utilizing the university's name or logo in a manner that violates copyright regulations. For more information regarding copyright/logo use visit this link.
- Demonstrations, Assemblages, and Other Conduct: A student organization conducted a demonstration or protest in a manner that violated institutional policy.
- Discrimination: No person on the basis of age, color, disability, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or weight shall be discriminated against.
- Hazing: Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, whether on or off campus, for the purpose of initiation or affiliation with any organization or team which jeopardizes the physical and/or mental well-being of an individual, or is, presumably, an illegal activity. For more information about hazing, visit this link.
- Misuse of Facilities/Destruction of Property: A student organization misrepresented the use of facility space or acted in a destructive manner in the space.
- Misuse of Funding: A student organization used Student Life appropriations funds in a way that violates institutional policy.
- Violating Federal, State, or Local Law: A student organization acted or participated in an event which violates Federal, state, or local law.
- Violating GVSU Policies or Procedures: A student organization violated an institutional policy or procedure. The Student Code which has GVSU policies and procedures can be found here.
- Violation of Organization's Constitution: A student organization violated a policy or procedure listed in its’ own constitution.
- Violation of Organization's Sanction(s): A student organization did not follow the sanction(s) assigned by the Office of Student Life from a misconduct referral process.
Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Academic Standards: Either chapter representatives or an organization's participants are not meeting established academic standards.
- Auxiliary Organizations: In order to protect GVSU's single-sex organizations, auxiliary (brother/sister) groups are not permitted.
- Failure to Participate in Chapter of Excellence: The fraternity and sorority community must participate in GV's annual assessment: Chapter of Excellence. To access information about this annual assessment, visit this link.
- Membership Violations: Discriminatory policies, eligibility policies, GPA policies, bid/beginning new member policies.
- Office of Student Life Reporting Violation: All greek organizations are responsible for submitting and updating information with the Office of Student Life in a timely manner.
- Unauthorized Co-sponsorships: Support and/or participation with organizations not recognized by GVSU.
- Violation of Fraternity and Sorority Policies: A violation of a policy or procedure laid out in GVSU's Fraternity and Sorority Life Manual. You can find the manual here.
If you are aware of a student organization who has violated one of these policies, or perhaps a policy not listed, please CLICK HERE to submit a Student Organization Referral Form.