Regional Math and Science Center
C-1-125 Mackinac Hall
Bachelor of Science, Natural Resources Mgt.
Grand Valley State University
As a Program Coordinator for the Regional Math and Science Center, I provide outreach services to K-12 education for teachers and students within Ottawa, Kent, and Montcalm counties.
- Create an annual professional development program for teachers: the Fall Science Update Seminar, featuring workshops in inquiry, technology, and science education.
- Develop various teacher professional development workshops and lectures in science and mathematics.
- Participate with community science groups: Educational Consultant and former board member for the Outdoor Discovery Center of Wildlife Unlimited.
- Train others in special projects: Certified Trainer for the MEECS Land Use and Ecosystems & Biodiversity Trainings when requested.
Coordinate annual science competitions for middle and high school students.
- Co-director for the Region 12 Michigan Science Olympiad Tournament at GVSU. This tournament attracts 2,000 students, coaches, and parents to GVSU each spring.
- Former co-director of the Science, Technology, and Engineering Preview Summer (STEPS). This national engineering program is for 7th grade girls to design, manufacture, and fly radio-controlled glider airplanes in a day camp environment.
- Co-manage a kit-based Elementary Science Olympiad program for K-5 schools which is used throughout the school year by local schools.
Michigan Space Grant Consortium
Co-authored a research paper on the Science, Technology, and Engineering Preview Summer Camps (STEPS) to the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) for presentation and publication at the 2008 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
Coming to Grand Valley state University from an artistic, non-profit work environment allowed me to continue to express my creativity and sharpen my focus on improving science and mathematics education. I especially enjoy interacting with the students and area teachers at events such as the Region 12 Michigan Science Olympiad Tournament, STEPS Summer Camps, and other community outreach events.
Page last modified December 12, 2012