SaM3 Helping Teachers Manage Student Misconceptions in Math and Science
One of the challenges teachers face in the classroom is how to deal with the naïve ideas that students bring to the classroom about science and mathematics content. The goal of the SaM3 (Science and Mathematics Misconceptions Management) professional development program is to increase a teachers ability to elicit and address student misconceptions, utilizing the content areas of Energy (science) and Fractions (mathematics) as a context for applying misconception management strategies.
Teacher teams who participate in this SaM3 training will gain:
- Increased core content knowledge in the focus areas of Fractions (mathematics) and Energy (science) across the disciplines.
- Increased understanding of common student misconceptions in their content area.
- A set of misconception management strategies to teach for understanding.
- Usable lesson plans to use and examine through the year.
- Skills in analyzing student work for understanding.
This workshop series consists of three full-day sessions at Kent ISD:
- Wednesday, January 9, 2013
- Tuesday, February 5, 2013
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013
All three of these sessions will be held at Kent ISD running from 8:00 am 3:00 pm (registration from 7:45 8:00 am). There will also be two after school sessions in April and May with common date and location to be determined by the participants.
Preference will be given to TEAMS of mathematics and science teachers of grades 6 9. Registration is limited to 20 participants. We currently have 9 slots still available.
Since this project is supported by a grant from the Michigan Department of Education, there is no cost for this workshop series. Participants will receive:
- Substitute reimbursement up to $90 per day for each of the three full-day sessions
- Teacher stipend for $50 per session for each of the two after school sessions
- All materials and supplies
- Lunch for the full-day sessions
For more information on this opportunity, fliers, and registration form, visit the RMSC website at www.gvsu.edu/rmsc under Upcoming Events.