Employee Worker Compensation Injuries
- All serious injuries (accidents that require immediate medical attention) must be reported immediately but no later than by the end of the workday.
- All other accidents and injuries must be reported to your supervisor within 2 hours of the occurrence. If the exact time of the occurrence cannot be determined, you must report the injury to your supervisor within 24 hours of the time that the symptoms of the injury appeared. The University cannot be held responsible for injuries that are not reported as required by University policy and bargaining agreements.
- In the event of a medical emergency, emergency medical personnel and or Public Safety Officers will determine the most suitable treatment facility.
- Minor injuries (cuts, sprains, minor burns, and minor back injuries) can be treated at the Campus Health Center.
- In most cases, you should require the injured staff member to complete a Workers' Compensation Injury Report within 24 hours of the accident. The form is available to download from the Human Resources web site at http://www.gvsu.edu/hro under the "Forms" link or by calling Human Resources at (616) 331-2215. All forms must be completely filled out.
- You are responsible for making sure that the report is completed in a timely manner and turned in to Human Resources.
- The Workers' Compensation Injury Report Form that the staff member completes will be used to make sure they receive the proper medical treatment, wage loss compensation and benefits.