Chalking on Campus
Chalking: writing on sidewalks with chalk to spread a message.
Chalking at GVSU is permitted in certain designated sidewalk locations only for the purpose of announcing on-campus activities, events, meetings of Registered Student Organizations, or anything else sponsored by the University.
Permitted Chalking Locations
Chalking must be done on sidewalks in these locations only. Download a chalking map here.
- Sidewalk along west side of Copeland Hall.
- Sidewalk along east side of Mackinaw Hall next to Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center.
- Sidewalk along west side of Lake Michigan Hall.
- Sidewalk areas from entrance areas to the Rec. Center and Pool SE to Campus Drive.
- Sidewalk starting north of Cook DeWitt Center that runs NW to the Padnos greenhouse.
- Sidewalk areas from Little Mac Bridge South to Transformational Link Sculpture.
- Sidewalk from north side of Kirkhof Center going east to north end of Zumberge Pond.
- Sidewalk along north side of Lake Superior Hall.
- The announcement must promote a campus-wide activity, event, or meeting that is open to all students.
- The announcement must bear the name of the Registered Student Organization or University Department sponsoring the campus activity, event, or meeting.
- The announcement must fit within a 4’ by 4’ space.
- The material used to mark the sidewalk must be water-soluble chalk. The use of markers, paints, oil-based products, or sprayable chalk is prohibited.
- Chalking is prohibited on all vertical surfaces, buildings, walls, benches, picnic tables, signs, poles, trees, etc.
- Signs, posters, banners and other printed material shall not be taped to the sidewalk in lieu of chalked announcements.
- Chalked announcements may not exceed two days prior to the campus activity, event or meeting.
- Individuals who desire to chalk an announcement must first register with the Office of Student Life (616-331-2345).