Dr. Kingshuk Majumdar
Professor of Physics
138 Padnos Hall of Science
Department of Physics
- Ph.D. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (1999)
- M.S. University of Calcutta, India (1992)
- B.S. Presidency College, Calcutta, India (1989)
- Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, 2017 - Present.
- Associate Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, 2011 - 2017.
- Assistant Professor of Physics, Grand Valley State University, 2007 - 2011.
- Assistant Professor of Physics, Berea College, KY, 2002 - 2007.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics, Berea College, KY, 2000 - 2002.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Physics, University of Cincinnati, OH, 1999 - 2000.
- PHY 210/211 - Math. Topics in Physics I & II.
- PHY 220/221 (algebra based) - General Physics I & II.
- PHY 230/231 (calculus based) - Principles of Physics I & II.
- PHY 350 - Quantum Mechanics.
- PHY 360 - Statistical Thermodynamics.
- PHY 399 - Advanced Statistical Mechanics.
- PHY 440 - Advanced Electricity & Magnetism.
- PHY 450 - Advanced Quantum Mechanics.
- PHY 485/486 - Physics Senior Project.
Research Interests in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
- Topological Insulators, Quantum Hall systems.
- Low dimensional quantum spin systems, frustrated magnets.
- Strongly correlated systems.
- Bose-Einstein condensation of ultracold atoms in optical lattices.
- Magnetic nanostructures - Giant Magnetoresistance, Spin-polarized transport in tunnel junctions.
Research with Undergraduates
Undergraduate research is an excellent way to initiate students into methodically solving problems in physics and stimulating their interests in the subject. Interested GVSU physics majors are welcome to discuss their research interests with me.
Supervised Student Research at GVSU (2007 - Present):
- William Munizzi, "Investigating the role of competing interactions in quantum Heisenberg spin 1/2 systems" - Physics Senior Seminar Project, 2017.
- Danial Pawlak, "Coulomb blockade in tunnel junctions," - Physics Senior Seminar Project, 2013 - 2014.
- Nathan Gerken, "Numerical studies on spacing distributions of eigen-values for random matrices," - Physics Senior Seminar Project and Honors Project, 2013 - 2014 (Received Best Senior Honors Project Award, 2014).
- Stephen Gardner, "Non-linear spin wave analysis of quantum magnets." - Physics Senior Seminar Project, 2008-2009.
- Nathan Lindy, "Theoretical Study of electrical conductivity of thin films." - Physics Senior Seminar Project, 2007-2008.
- G.S. Uhrig and Kingshuk Majumdar, "Varied Perturbation Theory for the Dispersion Dip in the Two-Dimensional Heisenberg Quantum Antiferromagnet," Eur. Phys. J. B86: 282 (2013).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, D. Furton, and G. S. Uhrig, "Effects of ring exchange interaction on the Neel phase of two-dimensional, spatially anisotropic, frustrated Heisenberg quantum antiferromagnet," Phys. Rev. B 85, 144420 (2012).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, "The exotic physics of frustrated magnets," Desktop Engineering: Engineering on the edge (2011).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, "Spin-wave energy dispersion of a frustrated spin-1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet on a stacked square lattice," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 23, 116004 (2011)
- Kingshuk Majumdar, "Magnetic phase diagram of spatially anisotropic, frustrated spin-1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet on a stacked square lattice," J. Phys.: Condensed Matter 23, 046001 (2011).
- G. Mendonca, R. Lapa, J. Ricardo de Sousa, M. A. Neto, Kingshuk Majumdar, and T. Datta, "Ground-state phase diagram of the quantum J1-J2 spin-1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet on an anisotropic square lattice," J. Stat. Mech Vol 2010 (June), P06022, (2010).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, "Second-order quantum corrections for the frustrated, spatially anisotropic, spin-1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet on a square lattice," Phys. Rev. B 82, 144407 (2010).
- Kingshuk Majumdar and T. Datta, "Zero temperature phases of the frustrated J1-J2antiferromagnetic spin-1/2 Heisenberg model on a simple cubic lattice ," J. Stat. Phys. 139, 714-726 (2010).
- Kingshuk Majumdar and T. Datta, "Non-linear spin wave theory results for the frustrated S=1/2 Heisenberg antiferromagnet on a body-centered cubic lattice," J. Phys: Condens. Matter 21, 406004 (2009).
- Kingshuk Majumdar "von Neumann entropy and on-site localization for perpetually coupled qubits," Phys. Rev. B 79, 115134 (2009). Also published in the April 13, 2009 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- Kingshuk Majumdar and H. Fertig, "Deconfinement and phase diagram of bosons in a linear optical lattice with a particle reservoir," Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 220402 (2005).
- H. Fertig and Kingshuk Majumdar, "Vortex deconfinement in the XY-model with a magnetic field," Ann. of Phys. 305 (2), 190 (2003).
- Kingshuk Majumdar and Manash Mukherjee, "Logarithmic corrections to finite size spectrum of SU(N) symmetric quantum chains," J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 35, L543 - L549 (2002).
- Peter G. van Dongen, Kingshuk Majumdar, Carey Huscroft, and Fu-Chun Zhang,"Quantum critical point in a periodic Anderson model," Phys. Rev. B 64, 195123 (2001).
- Kingshuk Majumdar and Selman Hershfield, "Magnetoresistance of the double-tunnel junction Coulomb blockade with magnetic metals," Phys. Rev. B 57, 11521 (1998).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, Jian Chen, and Selman Hershfield, "Calculation of giant magnetoresistance in laterally confined multilayers in the current-in-plane geometry,"Phys. Rev. B 57, 2950 (1998).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, Avraham Schiller, and Selman Hershfield, "Nonequilibrium Kondo impurity: Perturbation about an exactly solvable point," Phys. Rev. B 57, 2991 (1998).
- Kingshuk Majumdar, Pinaki Roy, and Rajkumar Roychoudhury, "Dynamical symmetry breaking in four fermion theories in 2+1 dimensions," Phys. Rev. D 51, 3129 (1995).
Grants, Awards, & Honors
- NSF-MRI Award ($97,383) to acquire a HPC Cluster at GVSU, 2012 - 2015.
- XSEDE Award: 50,000 CPU supercomputing hours, 2012 - 2013.
- Regional Michigan Science Olympiad Service Award, 2011.
- Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics (KITP) Scholar Award, 2010 - 2012, 2005 - 2007.
- "Who's Who Among American Teachers and Educators", 2006 - 2007.
- Cottrell College Science Award from Research Corporation 2004 - 2006.
- Award for paper presentation in the Graduate Student Forum, University of Florida, Gainesville, 1998.
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award by an International Student, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. 1997.
- University Grant Commission Merit Scholarship, University of Calcutta, India, 1989 - 1992.
- National Merit Scholar, Govt. of West Bengal, India, 1984.
- Referee for APS and IOP journals.
- Reviewer for NSF and DOE grants.
- Member of American Physical Society.
- Member of Anacapa Society.
- Member of Sigma Pi Sigma Honor Society.