Vehicle Safety & Security
Grand Rapids is a busy place at all hours of the day and night. Many of our students come from smaller, more rural communities and have limited experience with vehicle safety and security. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when parking in and around campus.
1. Lock your doors immediately when exiting and entering your vehicle.
2. Close all windows when leaving your vehicle.
3. Do not leave valuables visible. Lock these items in the trunk or in the glove compartment.
4. Do not leave cell phone chargers, GPS mounts or chargers, or any other accessory to a valuable item visible. A criminal has no problem breaking in to see if the valuable is elsewhere out of sight.
5. Never stop to pick up a hitchhiker, and never hitchhike.
6. Know your location in case of emergency.
7. Do not attach your name or address to your car keys in case they are lost or stolen.
8. Park near light poles and in well-lit areas. If you notice lights are out at night, please report them immediately to Campus Safety.
Page last modified June 29, 2012