Each Student Summer Scholar and Faculty Member is allocated a budget for their project. This budget is determined by the application process and varies depending on the needs of the research or creative project. Scholars and their mentors are responsible for monitoring this budget and initiating any reimbursements. Project funds are distributed through departmental transfers or Travel and Expense reimbursement.
Travel and Expense Reimbursement Process
All out-of-pocket reimbursements need to be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship on a Travel and Expense voucher. Use the FIRST "Excel file to fill out and print" listed on the page for travel, and use the THIRD "Excel file to fill out and print" for supplies. THESE FORMS MUST BE TYPED AND INCLUDE ORIGINAL CLAIMANT SIGNATURE.
All University guidelines and procedures apply. The procedure described below applies for reimbursement of project supplies and travel for project research, as well as travel for project presentations. Contact our office BEFORE you travel so that we can give you all of the resources you will need in order to have your travel expenses reimbursed. All reimbursements are processed through the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (OURS). Per GVSU policy, any services performed (editing, page publication, transcription, etc.) MUST be paid directly by a GVSU department via an invoice or purchased using your department p-card. Purchase of services using personal credit cards will not be reimbursed. Submit your Travel & Expense vouchers (for supplies/materials), receipts, invoices, PO's etc. to OURS, 230 LIB.
Please note: all requests for reimbursements or other budget activity MUST be completed by September 30, 2015. Requests will not be granted beyond this date.
Follow the process noted below:
1. Make your purchase for supplies for your research. Be sure to save original receipts.
2. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT – keep it in good condition so it is easily copied and scanned.
3. TYPE out the reimbursement form (FULLY). Be detailed.
4. Sign the form as a claimant.
5. Send receipt(s) and form to Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, 230 LIB.
6. Record your expenditures in your budget tracking sheet.
7. Please note that check processing can take anywhere from 7 to 10 business days. Consider using direct deposit for Travel and Expense reimbursements. It is separate from the payroll direct deposit and requires completion of a separate form.
Scholars: if you are traveling to present your S3 research, then please submit your request for travel funds to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
1. The type of presentation (poster or oral)
2. The conference title, dates, and location
3. Your presentation information in APA format (authors, presentation year & month, title)
4. The presentation abstract
Travel funds for dissemination are processed by reimbursement using the same procedures and travel form discussed above. These funds are available to you for two years or your graduation from GVSU, whichever comes first.
Please note: if you are presenting your S3 research on a poster, please be sure to review "Printing a Poster" on the Student Summer Scholars Showcase page as the same procedure applies.
OURS also offers the use of poster tubes for seven days to assist in transporting your poster. They can be check out in 230 LIB.
If you have any questions, contact Shelley Sickrey via telephone (616-331-8100) or e-mail (email@example.com).