Each Student Summer Scholar and Faculty Member is allocated a budget for their project. This budget is determined by the application process and varies depending on the needs of the research or creative project. Scholars and their mentors are responsible for monitoring this budget and initiating any reimbursements. Project funds are distributed through departmental transfers or Travel and Expense reimbursement.
Travel and Expense Reimbursement Process
All out-of-pocket reimbursements need to be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship on a Travel and Expense voucher. Use the FIRST "Excel file to fill out and print" listed on the page for travel, and use the THIRD "Excel file to fill out and print" for supplies. All University guidelines and procedures apply. The procedure described below applies for reimbursement of project supplies and travel for project research, as well as travel for project presentations. Contact our office BEFORE you travel so that we can give you all of the resources you will need in order to have your travel expenses reimbursed.
Please note: all requests for reimbursements or other budget activity MUST be completed by September 30, 2013. Requests will not be granted beyond this date.
Follow the process noted below:
1. Make your purchase for supplies for your research. Be sure to save original receipts.
2. SAVE YOUR RECEIPT – keep it in good condition so it is easily copied and scanned.
•As part of the reimbursement process it is required that receipts smaller than half a sheet of paper (8 ½ X 5 ½) be taped to an 8 ½ x 11 piece of paper.
•No staples are allowed.
•You may put as many receipts on the paper as you can without overlapping any of the information or edges of the 8 ½ x 11. You may use both sides of the paper and you may use more than one sheet if necessary. Make sure that all information is readable and not covered by the tape.
•Please do not use highlighters to identify your reimbursable expense, instead circle the appropriate items (Highlighters and tape may degrade the ink before the document can be scanned into the University's imaging system for record keeping.)
3. Fill out the reimbursement form (FULLY). Be detailed.
4. Sign the form as a claimant.
5. Send receipt(s) and form to Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, 230 LIB.
6. Record your expenditures in your budget tracking sheet.
7. Please note that check processing can take anywhere from 7 to 10 business days. Consider using direct deposit for Travel and Expense reimbursements. It is separate from the payroll direct deposit and requires completion of a separate form.
Scholars: if you are traveling to present your S3 research, then please submit your request for travel funds to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
1. The type of presentation (poster or oral)
2. The conference title, dates, and location
3. Your presentation information in APA format (authors, presentation year & month, title)
Travel funds for dissemination are processed by reimbursement using the same procedures and travel form discussed above. These funds are available to you for two years or your graduation from GVSU, whichever comes first.
Please note: if you are presenting your S3 research on a poster, please be sure to review "Printing a Poster" on the Student Summer Scholars Showcase page as the same procedure applies.
OURS also offers the use of poster tubes for seven days to assist in transporting your poster. They can be check out in 230 LIB.
If you have any questions, contact Shelley Sickrey via telephone (616-331-8100) or e-mail (email@example.com).
Page last modified September 30, 2013