The myName project will begin accepting name changes in February 2018.
The project will be in an implementation stage during the 2018 calendar year, in which ongoing enhancements will be made to GVSU processes.
You can change your myName on file by simply entering in a new First and/or Last name in the myProfile module. This will overwrite the previous myName that was on file. Please allow for a few days for the systems to receive the change and begin to use the new myName on file.
You can remove the myName you have on file with Banner and revert back to your name on Banner. Simply follow these instructions:
- Login to Banner Self Service and select the Personal Information tab and then My Profile
- Select Edit on the Personal Details section where you can check the box to Revert Back to Original Name
- This will remove your myName on Banner and begin using your indicated name in Banner throughout the GVSU systems
- For Students, this request will change your email display name back to your name that is in Banner
- For Faculty and Staff, your email display name will not change unless you make an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining what you would like your email display name to show
GVSU will use myName except where legal name is required by the university or legal obligations. Both internal and external communications (i.e. emails or letters to students/parents/guardians, LakerJobs, internships) as well as People Finder Directory will also include myName.
myName will NOT be used for the following purposes:
- Accounting and Taxes
- Accounts Payable
- Admissions application
- Employment and Payroll
- Government reporting
- Health Care and Benefits
- NCAA eligibility
- Official Transcripts
- Student Accounts (billing. loans and collections)
- Travel and Expenses
Students: Please note that your Email Display Name automatically changes with a myName request.
Faculty/Staff: If you want your email display name updated to reflect your myName:
- You must submit an email request stating the desired display name to be used to Information Technology at email@example.com. Your email display name is reflected by a first and last name you choose versus the actual email/network account ID.
- Please see the example below:
To obtain a new ID card:
- Students: please visit the Registrar's Office in person at any of the Student Assistance Centers in Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, or Traverse City
- Faculty, Staff, and Official Retirees: please visit the Human Resources office at 1090 James H. Zumberge Hall, Allendale, MI or one of the Student Assistance Center locations
This process is currently being developed. We are unable to make the change at this time.
If you legally change your name, a legal name change does not automatically update an existing myName. Please follow the myName process to update myName in this case or contact the Records office or Human Resources for assistance.
A request can take up to two business days to process and be available in Banner.