Override Help

Electronic Overrides

If a course requires a registration permit, is closed or prevents registration based on major, class, prerequisite etc., students can request electronic overrides through myBanner. 

Registration Overrides

All REGISTRATION OVERRIDE REQUESTS should be submitted online through myBanner.

Students seeking permission to register in a course for which they have received a restriction or prerequisite error should understand the following: 

  1. The Registrar’s site provides information about override requests.
  2. Submitting a request does not guarantee a space in the course.
  3. The department will review all requests.
  4. When a decision is made, an email will be sent to your GVSU email address.


  • Requests will be reviewed:
    • Spring: April 21st
    • Fall: June 17th
    • Winter: November 1st

Registration Permits

Students should login to Banner and attempt to register for the appropriate class. When they get the registration error "Prior Approval Required" they should click on the link at the bottom to request an override. If your override request has been approved, you will receive an email providing information regarding the section you are able to register for.  This registration permit is time limited.  

It is your responsibility to register within 48 hours of receiving this email.

Closed Class Permit

If a class section is closed, students should check Banner frequently, especially after the tuition payment deadline, to see if there is an open spot. You can attempt to register for a desired section, and when you get the "Closed Class" registration error you can click the link at the bottom to request an override.

We attempt not to over-enroll classes so students must make a good case for requiring a closed class permit.

Prerequisite Waivers

If you have taken or are taking the prerequisite course at another institution you will need to send proof of completion/registration for that course to movover@gvsu.edu before the override can be processed. A screenshot of an unofficial transcript is fine as long as is has the name of the student, the institution, the course name/number, and either the grade received or when the course was offered.

It is your responsibility to make sure that the course you plan to take transfers for the appropriate GVSU course. You must send an official transcript as soon as grade is received.

Page last modified October 20, 2017