Department of Movement Science
John Kilbourne, Ph.D.
- 1994 - DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY; HEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION & RECREATION, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210. "Building A Bridge Between Athletics and Academics (A performance based curriculum for college athletes)," Cognate area is in Black Studies.
- 1986- MASTER OF ARTS; DANCE EDUCATION, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024. Dance and Its Application to Sport"
- 1978- BACHELOR OF ARTS; CREATIVE DRAMA AND MOVEMENT FOR CHILDREN, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, CA 90840
- MOV 101: Foundations of the Movement Sciences
- LIB 100: Introduction to Liberal Studies
- LIB 310: Creativity
- HON 312: Games in the Circumpolar World
- PED 200: Rhythms and Dance for the K-12 Educator
PED 179: Ballroom Dance
- Member Honors College Faculty
Member GVSU's Intercollegiate Athlete Advisory Board
- Consultant Documentary Film "La Sierra: JFK Challenge"
- Games in the Circumpolar World – Sabbatical Study in the Arctic of Norway, Winter 2011.
- Activity Permissible Classrooms
- Intercollegiate Athletic Reform
Creativity in Games, Sport, and Physical Activity
- Kilbourne, J. "The Good Jobs Strategy", Chronicle of Higher Education. Nov. 29, 2015.
- Kilbourne, J., Weber, L. & Kapitula, L. “Impacting Student Engagement by Creating Activity Permissible Classrooms: Moving Education into the 21st Century.” Under Review, Learning Environments Research. Fall 2015.
- Kilbourne, J. "Let's Pop the Bubble Surrounding Part-time Faculty." The Chronicle of Higher Education. October 11, 2013.
- Kilbourne, J. "Moving Physical Education Beyond the Gymnasium: Activity Permissible Classrooms." p.e.links4u - http://www.pelinks4u.org/articles/kilbourne5_2013.htm. May 2013.
- Kilbourne, J. "The Softer, Squashy American." p.e.links4u - http://www.pelinks4u.org/articles/kilbourne1_2013.htm. January 2013.
- Kilbourne, J. "WE the New PE: Wellness Education the New Physical Education." p.e.links4u - http://www.pelinks4u.org/archives/0112.htm. January 2012.
- Kilbourne, J. "Moving at the Speed of Academe." The Chronicle of Higher Education. October 8, 2012.
- Kilbourne, J. "Having Faith in Physical Education." p.e.links4u - http://www.pelinks4u.org/articles/kilbourne10_2012.htm. October, 2012.
- Kilbourne, J. (2009). Running With Zoe: A Conversation on the Meaning of Play, Games, and Sport, Including: A Journey to the Canadian Arctic. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse.
- Kilbourne, J. “In Search of the Meaning of Sami Games.” Baiki: The International Sami Journal Autumn, 2011.
- Kilbourne, J. “Sharpening the Mind Through Movement: Using Exercise Balls in a University Lecture Class.” The Chronicle of Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education. February, 2009.
- Anonymous. “An Ugly Game.” Chronicle Review. December 12, 2008.
- Kilbourne, J. “Teaching Social Studies Through Storytelling: The Enduring Spirit of the Arctic.” Social Education. October, 2008.
Recent Conference Presentations
- European College of Sport Science Conference, Using Traditional Arctic Games to Promote Peace and Sustainability in the North. Malmo, Sweden. June 26, 2015.
- Grand Rapids Children's Museum Symposium on Play, Creating Playful Classrooms to Help Students Excel. Grand Rapids, Michigan. May 6, 2015.
- To Focus on Learning, Movement and Communication Conference, "Moving Education into the 21st Century: Creating Activity Permissible Classrooms to Help Students Excel," Middelfart, Denmark. March 5, 2014.
- University of Southern Denmark, "Moving Education into the 21st Century: Creating Activity Permissible Classrooms to Help Students Excel," Odense, Denmark. March 4, 2014.
- Office Resources, Inc., Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky. Keynote Address - Education in the 21st Century: Creating Activity-Permissible Classrooms. October 15-16, 2013.
- NBS Healthcare and Education Expo, Troy, Michigan. Keynote Address - Education in the 21st Century: Creating Activity-Permissible Classrooms to Help Students Excel. September 12, 2013.
- Copenhagen University, Copenhagen, Denmark. Using Traditional Arctic Games to Promote Sustainability and Peace in the North. May 2, 2013.
- Grand Rapids Children's Museum's Symposium on Play, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Organizer and Featured Presenter - Moving to the Essence of Play. March 1, 2013.
- International Polar Year Conference, Montreal Canada. Presenter - Appreciating Traditional and Local Knowledge: The Games od the Sami and Inuit. April 22-24, 2012.
- College Sport Research Institute Conference, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. Panelist - Meaningful Education for College Athletes. April 19-21, 2012.
- Exchange for Local Observations and Knowledge of the Arctic Workshop, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO. Monitoring and Managing Local Knowledge as it Relates to Indigenous Arctic Games. Nov. 15-17, 2011.
- ISCC Maison des Sciences de la Communication, Paris, France. Bridging Local and Scientific Knowledge in the Arctic Workshop. June 14-16, 2011.
- Institute for Arctic Studies, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. Inuit and Sami Games. April 7, 2011.
- Hedmark University College, Elverum, Norway. Indigenous People & Games & Sport: Experiences from Inuit of Canada and Sami of Norway. February 16, 2011.
- College Sport Research Institute Conference, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. Panelist – Recruiting College Athletes to Boost Enrollment, April 17, 2009
Honors & Awards
- Grand Valley State University Sustainability Champion Award, 2011.
- Grand Valley State University PEW Teaching Excellence Award, 2010.
- Grand Valley State University Sustainability Champion Award, 2009.
- Grand Valley State University Distinguished Professor of the Year, 2009.
- Grand Valley State University Student Senate “Last Lecture,” Fall 2008.
- Grand Rapids Public Schools, “Honored for Outstanding Service,” Fall 2006.
- Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Massachusetts, “Award for Academic Excellence,” 2004.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, “Citation for Outstanding Performance,” 2000.
- The Ohio State University, "1993 Graduate Associate Teaching Award."
- The Ohio State University, "1993 Success Stories Multicultural Teaching Award."
Page last modified December 8, 2015