Scholarships under the S-STEMS Program are competitive. Participants in the S-STEMS Program are chosen on the basis of their achievements and their potential for success.
A scholarship applicant must:
- Be enrolled full-time and major in Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering, Geology, Information Systems, Integrated Science, Mathematics, Physics, Pre-Computer Science, Pre-Engineering, Pre-Information Systems, or Statistics at the baccalaureate level (baccalaureate-level, full-time enrollment is 12+ hours)
- Be Pell Grant eligible under Federal financial aid as determined by completing and submitting a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) (S-STEMS Program scholarships are need based)
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, refugee alien, or permanent resident alien at the time of application
- Have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (students with less than a 3.0 GPA but with a noticeable trend in academic improvement will be considered)
- Have one GVSU professor (who teaches in one of these areas or a closely-related discipline) submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf
- Submit a personal statement
- Submit a current transcript (a copy is sufficient) from each institution of higher education attended
- Complete a Plan of Study Form
- Completely fill out the Application Form
- Participate in a personal interview
NOTE: Preference will be given to a student likely to complete his or her degree within two years of the initial award.
NOTE: Women, racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Page last modified March 4, 2014