Please submit the following to complete your application packet no later than Friday, January 31, 2014. All materials can be turned in to Courtney Sherwood at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at B-4-232 MAK:
- Completed online Application Form
- Contact a GVSU professor to serve as your referee person to write your letter of recommendation
- Completed the Plan of Study Form showing what courses you plan to take and when you plan to take them
A written personal statement hat explains your academic and professional goals
Applied for financial aid using a FAFSA Form by March 1
Scholarships under the S-STEMS Program are competitive. Participants in the S-STEMS Program are chosen on the basis of their achievements and their potential for success.
A scholarship applicant must:
- Be enrolled full-time and major in Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering, Geology, Information Systems, Integrated Science, Mathematics, Physics, Pre-Computer Science, Pre-Engineering, Pre-Information Systems, or Statistics at the baccalaureate level (baccalaureate-level, full-time enrollment is 12+ hours)
- Be eligible for Federal financial aid as determined by completing and submitting a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) (S-STEMS Program scholarships are need based)
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, refugee alien, or permanent resident alien at the time of application
- Have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (students with less than a 3.0 GPA but with a noticeable trend in academic improvement will be considered)
- Have one GVSU professor (who teaches in one of these areas or a closely-related discipline) submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf
- Submit a personal statement (Online submission information and requirements can be found here.
- Submit a current transcript (a copy is sufficient) from each institution of higher education attended (other than GVSU)
- Complete the included Plan of Study Form (The form and online submission information can be found here.)
- Completely fill out the Application Form
- Participate in a personal interview
NOTE: Preference will be given to a student likely to complete his or her degree within two years of the initial award.
NOTE: Women, racial and ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Page last modified February 10, 2014