New Member Information
Welcome New LMB Members!
This page outlines all the information you will need for your summer preparation to the LMB band camp. Please read each section in its entirety and carefully.
The sections cover the following topics:
Important Summer Dates
May 10 - August 2
Summer Orientation Dates
- Register for MUS 107 Section 01 or 02
Saturday, July 15 & Sunday, July 16
Summer Camp for GVSU Color Guard & Drumline
Mandatory camp for Color Guard & Drumline members.
Deadline for online Band Camp Registration
August 7 - August 14
Submission of Pregame Music Memorization e-mail
E-mail the three (3) hyperlinks to your Pregame Memorization videos to: GVSULMB@gvsu.edu
Saturday, August 19
LMB Band Camp Starts!
All Returners and New Members!
Summer Orientation Date
Registering for Marching Band and Uniform Fitting
- Please visit the GVSU Music table when you arrive at the Kirkhof Center on your summer orientation date. Our representative at the table will be able to help you with any questions your may have.
- Inform your summer orientation advisors that you ARE a member of the Laker Marching Band when planning your fall schedule.
- Register for marching band (MUS 107 Section 01 or Section 02) for your fall schedule. Marching band is a 1 credit class. Those auditioning for Drumline and have an orientation before May 21 need to keep the marching band time open (M,W,F 4-5:50 & Tuesday 6-7:30pm) in your fall schedule and can add the class after a successful audition.
- Uniform Fitting - ALL Members will be fitted at Band Camp!
**Please remember that MUS 107 is a tuition refund class, only if you register for more than 15 credits in the fall. After you pay for the additional credit(s) above 15, one of the credits above 15 becomes the marching band credit, and you will be refunded the full 1 credit tuition amount in November. Any questions concerning this policy, please contact Dr. Martin at GVSULMB@gvsu.edu or call 616-328-1500.
Band Camp Registration
- The online Band Camp Registration Form will be open by May 8, 2017.
- All New LMB members are requested to submit their registration by June 1, 2017. The registration form will close August 1, 2017.
- Drumline - Do not submit an online Band Camp Registration Form until after the drumline has been been selected.
- Download and print the 2017 UPDATED - Band Camp Letter and Information Document also located on the Band Camp Registration Page.
Accessing the "Members Only" area on the LMB Website
The "Members Only" of the Laker Marching Band (LMB) website contains all of your music (Pregame & Shows), drill charts (Pregame & Shows), Pregame & Alma Mater audio tracks, and other important documents for the LMB members.
To Access the "Members Only" area:
- Enter the first part of your GVSU e-mail (example - email@example.com, then my username = marjohnt)
- Enter your password for your GVSU e-mail account
**If you have not activated your GVSU e-mail, then you will need to use the default username and password listed below:
username = louie
password = golakers
Pregame and Show Music
- Check your Pregame Part Assignment by clicking: 2017 Pregame Part Assignments
**The 2017 Pregame Part Assignments will be available on June 2, 2017
- Download your music from the "Members Only" area under "Charts and Music," then "Pregame Music and Charts" or click 2017 Pregame Music
- Begin memorization of the Pregame Show: Page A, Alma Mater, Star Spangled Banner, Page B, Page C, Page D, Page E, Page F, Page G, and #38 GVSU Tag
- Pregame rehearsal recordings for each part for each Pregame tune are located in the "Members Only" area under "Charts and Music," then "Pregame Music and Charts"
- There is NO memorization requirement for half time music since we use flip folders for half time.
- Check your Show #1 Part Assignment by clicking: 2017 Show #1 Part Assignments
- Download your music from the "Members Only" area under "Charts and Music," then "Show #1 Music and Charts" or Click 2017 Show #1 Music
- Click Here for Show #2
- Show #3 will be posted by June 1, 2017.
Pregame Music Memorization Videos and Submission Process
Each wind & percussion member (including section leaders) will send an e-mail to GVSULMB@gvsu.edu that contains 3 hyperlinks to “unlisted” Youtube videos that show you playing your part to different sections of the Pregame show music memorized. Please review the "Youtube Video Uploading" instructions on the Youtube site or contact your section leader for assistance.
- You must face the camera and be at least 6 feet away from camera.
- Take the marked tempos for each tune and have a metronome ticking during your videos.
- Video 1 – Pregame A (mm=140), Alma Mater (mm=88), National Anthem (mm=96)
- Video 2 – Pregame B (mm=140), Pregame C (mm=104), Pregame D (mm=140)
- Video 3 – Pregame E (mm=140), Pregame F (mm=140), Pregame G (mm=140), #38 GVSU Tag (mm=132)
- Video Links e-mail due between August 7 to August 14
** If you need a GVSU marching instrument for the rest of the summer, please contact Dr. Martin at GVSULMB@gvsu.edu or call 616-328-1500.
Marching Fundamental Preparation
- The GVSU LMB uses an 8 to 5 step (glide step) as the basis for our marching fundamentals.
- The LMB Marching Fundamental Video Links are located in the "Members Only" area under "Charts and Music," then "Pregame Music & Marching Fundamental Videos."
- The LMB Marching Fundamental Handbooks are located in the "Members Only" area under "LMB Documents."
While all LMB members march the half time shows, Pregame is an alternate based show where the best marchers and players are chosen at band camp. All members should prepare by studying the marching fundamental handbook and videos.
GVSU Fight Song Lyrics and GVSU Alma Mater Lyrics and Parts
GVSU Fight Song - All members are required to memorize the lyrics to GVSU Victory
"We want a Grand Valley Victory,
as Lakers we have pride,
Our team will lead us on,
Blue and White we're at your side!
We want a Grand Valley victory,
as our foes will quickly see.
Raise! Your! Voices and cheer,
for a Victory!
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"
GVSU Alma Mater - All members are required to memorize the lyrics and able to sing a part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, or Bass)
Music & Audio tracks for each part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) are on the LMB website in the "Members Only" area under "Music and Charts."
Please look over the parts and memorize the lyrics before band camp. We will either sing or play the Alma Mater in our Pregame show.