Admissions for Applied Linguistics, M.A.
Learn more about university and program requirements for admission to Applied Linguistics, M.A.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley.
- Test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) for applicants whose native language is not English. Only original score reports will be accepted.
Applicants must complete the university’s online application and include the following materials required by the MA-AL program:
- A completed graduate application (done online)
- A personal statement—a statement about your reasons for pursuing this program of study, your learning objectives in the program, and your career goals when you complete the program.
- A writing sample—a substantive piece of writing, no less than three full pages (1500-1700 words), which demonstrates your academic writing ability. It could be a past paper you wrote for an undergraduate or graduate course.
- Two letters of recommendation from your former professors or supervisor in a relevant field who can testify to your potential as a graduate student in this program.
- GRE (General) score if the applicant’s undergraduate GPA in the major, or graduate GPA, is below 3.0.
Contact: Dr. Shinian Wu, Program Director
Department of English
213 Lake Huron Hall
1 Campus Dr.
Allendale, MI 49401