Mary Idema Pew Library
Presentations & Press Releases
- The construction of the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons is generating conversation in may forums. Listed are presentations and press releases about the project.
- New library retrieval system loading up Library staff have begun the daunting task of loading nearly 180,000 items into the automatic storage and retrieval system within the new Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons in time for Opening Day, June 24.
- Library á la carte Thousands of books are on the move as Grand Valley empties the shelves of Zumberge Library and stocks the shelves of the new Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.
- Zumberge closed, satellite library opened: Zumberge Library closed its doors to patrons Saturday, April 27, yet uninterrupted library services will continue throughout Spring Semester.
- Campus departments collaborate on library video series. The Office of Student Life and University Libraries have teamed together to create a humorous video series about the different online resources the library offers.
- Students flock to Grand Valley's new library. More than 2,000 people attended the April 17 Student Sneak Peek of the new Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.
- Renovations to Zumberge Library underway. Fencing around portions of Zumberge Library marks the beginning of renovations and construction of an addition to the existing building.
- Library collections on the move. In preparation for the June opening of the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons, a systematic move of collections has begun.
- GVNow gives you an inside glimpse of the Mary Idema Pew Library.
- GVNow reported on the construction progress for the new library.
- : Grand Valley Magazine reported on Going for the 'Green' reflecting on the energy initiatives planned for the new library.
- Grand Rapids Press reported on Shaping Our Future campaign raised $95.3 million that included funding for the library.
- Pioneer Construction sets goal of zero injuries during construction of the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.
- University Business mentions the library in the cover story Collaboration Station by Melissa Ezarik.
- Dean Lee VanOrsdel and Lynell De Wind presented Flipping the Model: Making Noise in the Library at the NBS Healthcare & Higher Education Vendor Fair on May 19,
- Crain's Detroit Business published an article on the DOE grant, New GVSU building will pump up conservation to push down utility costs.
This project was selected by the Department of Energy to reduce energy use in the building.
GVSU Press release
DOE Press release
- Steelcase Corporation, SHW Group and GVSU presented "Creating 21st Century Libraries" at Neocon in Chciago, IL. Steelcase’s most recent research on education libraries was presented. Participants found out about the key business drivers impacting how libraries are designed and what activities must be supported in the 21st century. They learned to develop and use a human-centered design method to develop solutions and aid the shift from information-centered libraries to social centered ones Presenters: Elise Valoe, senior human-centered design researcher for Steelcase Inc., Grand Rapids, MI; Tod Stevens, AIA, LEED AP, principal designer for SHW Group, Berkeley, MI; Lynell De Wind, MSI, MBA, director of planning and organizational resources for Grand Valley State University Libraries, Allendale, MI.
Page last modified May 17, 2013