Internet Journals, K-12 Databases & Search Engines
There are many individual Internet journals that patrons can easily access online. Listed below are links to a few of the Internet education journals and directories to free electronic journals.
- Directory of Open Access Journals..."free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals." Education journals may be found under the category of Social Sciences.
- Full Text Electronic Journals in the Field of Education...American Educational Research Association list of full text, peer-reviewed and scholarly, no cost education journals.
- Michigan Electronic Library...a click away from e-zines, education trade magazines, and online print journals through the MEL webpage. Michigan residents have access to numerous databases with the use of their Michigan driver's license number.
Below are the links to a few electronic education journals.
- Early Childhood Today....access to over 2000 articles. A great place to start finding information for any elementary school project.
- Education Week on the Web..."America's education newspaper of record."
- T.H.E. Journal...Since 1972, this journal has been "informing and educating K-12 senior-level district and school administrators, technologists, and tech-savvy educators...to improve and advance the learning process through the use of technology."
Education Databases for Professionals
Listed below are some databases for education professionals and K-12 databases. Visit the GVSU Library Education Database Page to find other databases available for GVSU students, faculty, and staff. You must have a Grand Valley State University username and password to access these databases from off-campus.
- ERIC...the Education Resources Information Center (ERIC), sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education.
- Child Care & Early Education Research Connections..."Research Connections is a unique resource that promotes high quality research and the use of that research in policymaking. Search the full text of thousands of resources relevant to the field of child care and early education that includes scholarly research, policy briefs, government reports, data, and instruments from a wide range of disciplines and sources, including multiple federal agencies."
- Children's Picture Book Database at Miami University...The Children's Picture Book Database at Miami University (CPBD@MU) provides abstracts of over 5000 picture books (preschool to grade 3). The books cover all disciplines and can be searched by topics, concepts, and skills. While not a database for journal or magazine articles, CPBD is placed on this section of the CML page because of its database quality.
The K-12 databases will help you find articles for students in preschool through twelfth grades.
- Books and Authors...Want to read more books by your favorite author or more of the same type?
- MeL Kids Databases...MeL Kids databases, (Michigan eLibrary), provide reliable, age appropriate resources that inform and stimulate the mind. Check out the many kids databases that MeL recommends. BookFlix, eLibrary Elementary, Kids InfoBits & World Book Kids are just a few of the databases that are available on the MeL Kids Database page.
- TeachingBooks.net..."Discover online multimedia resources. Bring books and authors to life."... website
- TumbleBook Library..."is an online collection of TumbleBooks. They are animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they'll love. TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you." website
- Google Scholar ..."provides a search of scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources, including theses, books, abstracts and articles."
K-12 Search Engines
- KOL Search..."AOL search engine is suitable for kids. The search results are family friendly and it includes quick-links to popular children sites."
- Cybersleuth Kids..."an internet search guide for the K-12 student."
- Fact Monster... "a free reference site for students, teachers, and parents."
- Kids Click..." annotated searchable directory of websites created for kids by librarians. Searchable by subject, reading level and degree of picture content."
Return to top