Professor of Liberal Studies
and Philosophy Department
Office: 235 Lake Ontario Hall
- Lib 100: Introduction to Liberal Education
- LIB 301: Interdisciplinary Research Methods
- Lib 340: Utopias
- LIB 314: Life Journeys
- LIB 341: Leadership for Social Change
- LIB 400: Visionary Thinkers Jane Addams
- LIB 495: Senior Seminar (Capstone)
- PHI 370 Feminist Philosophy
- PHI 325 Professional Ethics
Books and Book Chapters:
- Jane Addams’s Writings on Peace Volumes 1-4, edited and introductions, with Marilyn Fischer. Bristol, England: Thoemmes Press, 2003.
- “Reflection and Engagement: Liberal Education at GVSU. Lead editor (4 editions)
- Jane Addams’ Essays and Speeches on Peace. (Edited with Introduction, with Marilyn Fischer). London and New York: Continuum Publishing Group, 2006. Paperback reprint of Volume 4 of Jane Addams’s Writings on Peace.
- “Feminist-Pragmatist Democratic Practice and Contemporary Sustainability” in Contemporary Feminist Pragmatism. Ed Maurice Hamington and Celia Bardwell-Jones (Routledge 2012)
- “Examining Addams’s Democratic Theory through a Post-Colonial Lens” Feminist Interpretations of Jane Addams. Ed. Maurice Hamington. Penn State Press, 2010.
- “Touched by Suffering: American Pragmatism and Engaged Buddhism” American Buddhism as a Way of Life Vol. 2 in the series New Perspectives in American Buddhism, SUNY Press, 2010.
- “Jane Addams – Pragmatist-Feminist Democracy in a Global Context” in Democracy as Culture: Deweyan Pragmatism in the Age of Globalization. SUNY Press, 2008
- “Learn to Earn: A Pragmatist Response to Contemporary Dialogues about Industrial Education.” Journal of Speculative Philosophy. Volume 22, Number 1, 2008.
- “The Feminist Pacifism of Emily Greene Balch, Nobel Peace Laureate” National Women’s Studies Journal, December, 2006.
- “Jane Addams’s Social Thought as a Model for a Pragmatist-Feminist Communitarianism” Hypatia, 19.2 (Summer, 2004).
- “Food Practice as Epistemology” with Bill Whit. Journal of the Association for the Study of Food and Society. Winter, 2000.
- “Interdisciplinary Studies Advising in International Education” Special Issue Review of The Advising Quarterly, 55 (Winter, 2001), for the Association of Integrative Studies Newsletter, Volume 23, Number 3 (October, 2001).
- Review of Feminist Interpretations of John Dewey, in Transactions of the Charles S. Pierce Society, Winter, 2005 Vol. XLI, No. 1 (215-220)
- “Feminist Pragmatism” in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/femapproach-pragmatism/, 2004/2010.
- “Jane Addams” encyclopedia article in International Encyclopedia of Peace, ed. Eric Stannard. Oxford University Press, 2009.
- “Communitarianism” and “Feminism” in the Encyclopedia of American Philosophy, Routledge, 2008.
- “Sarah and Angelina Grimké” in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, David Boersma area editor of American Philosophy. Winter, 2006/2010.
- “Lucy Sprague Mitchell,” “Jessie Taft” and “Emily Greene Balch” three encyclopedia essays for Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers, ed. John Shook, Thoemmes Press. 2005.
- Brooks College nominee for Outstanding University Teaching Award 2011
- Excellence in Teaching and Faculty Service Award from the University Continuing Education Association. (Mid-America Region) 2009.
- Phi Kappa Phi inducted March, 2009.
- Ila and John Mellow Prize (conference paper award) Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, March, 2008.
- Outstanding University Faculty Member from the GVSU American Humanics program, 2006.
- GVSU nominee for CASE Award (Council for the Advancement and Support of Education with the Carnegie Foundation) 2005 and 2006.
- Brooks College nominee for the Outstanding University Service Award 05-06
- Barbara Jordan Award, presented by the Women and Gender Studies program for contributions to women’s scholarship and leadership at GVSU, March, 2003.
- Presidential Service Learning Scholar award Fall, 2000, Winter & Fall, 2001
Selected University Initiatives:
- General Education Committee 2009-12. Revision of upper level general education.
- Chair, Religious Studies Major/Minor Final Plan Committee (approved winter, 2012)
- Chair, Liberal Studies Department 1999-2009
- Task Force on Procedures for Establishing New Academic Units or Programs 2008-10
- Interim Director of General Education, Fall 04-Winter 05
- Planning, Implementation and Faculty Training for Lib 100 Project for First Year Students.2005-2010
- Provost’s Reorganization Taskforce, (Winter, Summer and Fall) 2003 (Work to create the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies)
- University Strategic Planning Committee (First mission, vision, values), 2002
- University Assessment Committee, A & H representative, 2000-02
- Women and Gender Studies Committee to create major. Approved Fall, 08.
- Chair, Committee to create Liberal Studies Department, Approved 2004
- Created with Continuing Education the Liberal Studies program in Traverse City (2000); the Liberal Studies program for returning adults in Holland (2008) and the Liberal Studies Leadership Program in Muskegon (2010)
- Association for American Colleges and Universities (AACU)
- Association for Integrative Studies (Board Member 2010-11)
- Society for Values in Higher Education
- Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP)
- International Leadership Association