Liberal Education at Grand Valley State University
A strong liberal education serves as the foundation for Grand Valley State University's wide array of undergraduate and graduate programs, fostering critical thinking, creative problem solving, and cultural understanding.
Through personalized learning enhanced by active scholarship, in which faculty members contribute to the growth of their fields, stay current in their professions, and enhance student learning in the classroom, Grand Valley accomplishes its mission of educating students to shape their lives, their professions, and their societies.
Grand Valley's liberal education focus prepares students for life in a fast-changing world. It fosters a commitment to economic, social, and environmental sustainability and an inclusive campus that values diversity. Through this forward-thinking education, students are empowered to positively affect the global community now and in the future.
Learn more about what liberal education means at Grand Valley:
- General Education Video
- General Education Overview
- Success Stories
- Student, Faculty, and Alumni Profiles
- Grand Valley Mission, Vision, and Values
See these examples of how active scholarship helps Grand Valley faculty members contribute to and stay current in their fields, discover solutions to immediate practical problems, and bring continuous learning into the classroom:
- Student Scholars Day
- Movement Science partners with GRPS
- Video project with senior citizens draws international attention
- Dean's text book sells well
- Research could impact shipping
- Undergrad researcher published
- Students win research grant
- Student receives art fellowship
- Libman named Prof of the Year
- Lib Studies professor honored
- Physics prof wins top award
Grand Valley's students, faculty members, staff members, and alumni are exemplifying the values of liberal education and active scholarship all the time. If you have examples, please submit them here.