Changing Your Name at GVSU

How do I change my name at Grand Valley State University?

Students whose preferred names do not match their state issued identification may have their preferred name on their GVSU ID card, the name associated with their student email account and in Blackboard, an online learning tool for discussions and class group collaborations used in classes across the University. Students must make these requests by contacting Christy Mayo in the Registrar's Office.

Students who acquire a new social security card with their new name and submit it to the records office with a Name Change Form. You can also go to the Registrars Office web page at and select Name Changes.

Getting a new social security card in the State of Michigan


How to Begin

To start a proceeding to change your name, the name of your child, or your family's last name, you (the petitioner) must complete the Petition to Change Name, form PC 51, and file it with the circuit court in the county where you live. The cost of filing your petition is $150.00.


To change the name of an adult, a minor, or the name of a family, you (the petitioner)

1. Must be a resident of the county for at least one year.

2. Your petition must explain the reasons for your request and that the name change is not being sought with a fraudulent intent.

If you have a criminal record, you are presumed to be seeking a name change with fraudulent intent and the change will not be ordered unless you can prove that your request is not for fraudulent purposes.

Changing your gender in the State of Michigan


How do I change the sex on my Michigan birth record following sex reassignment?

You will need to provide:

1. A completed application to change a Michigan birth record.

2. Michigan Vital Record Division's medical affidavit, completed by the physician that performed the reassignment surgery, certifying that genital sex-reassignment surgery has been successfully completed. The affidavit must be notarized.

NOTE: If you want to also change your first and middle name as a result of reassignment surgery, the physician should designate the changed name on the affidavit. If the physician does not designate the name to be changed at the time you submit the application, it can be done by court order.