Laker Help Link
Resistance Training Tips
Benefits of resistance training:
- Improve your muscle tone and appearance
- Increase your energy level and endurance
- Maintain a healthy body weight
Reduce your risk of osteoporosis
Tips to get started with a resistance/strength training program:
- Allow 25-30 minutes per session and be sure to include a 5-10 minute warm-up with light exercise and stretching.
- Perform strength-training exercises at least 2 times per week.
- For machines and free weights use enough weight to perform 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions. You can also perform exercises with bands/tubes, calisthenics, and floor exercises using higher repetitions.
- You'll need about 30-90 seconds of rest in between each set.
- Include exercises that will work each major muscle group, focusing on proper technique and breathing.
- Start by working larger muscles groups first (such as your legs), and finish with smaller muscle groups.
- Remember to periodically change exercises and intensity for best results.
For more information:
GVSU Campus Recreation
Page last modified September 14, 2010