Laker Help Link
Managing Your Money
Here are just a few tips to help you manage your money:
- For at least one month keep a detailed record of every expense you have, and develop a spreadsheet to see exactly where your money is currently going.
- List "savings" as an expense and put money aside each week or monthly to either pay off bills or save up for a trip, etc.
See what expenses you can reduce by frugal living:
- Reduce eating out and money spent on vending/soda machines
- Make use of your housing meal plan and make sure it is the best plan for you
- Drink water instead of sodas
- Take the bus between GVSU campuses instead of driving
- If you live close to campus, walk to school and classes
- Car pool to the grocery store, mall, or the movies
- Find cheap, fun entertainment such as playing cards, renting videos, bowling, etc.
- Limit trips to the mall where you might be tempted to spend money
- Go to a matinee instead of a full price evening movie.
- For grocery shopping, plan out your weekly menus, make a list and stick to it! Avoid impulse purchases. If it isn't on the list, don't get it. Check newspapers and online for money saving coupons.
- Evaluate your credit card debt and consolidate it on the card with the lowest APR. Limit any credit card use to real emergencies until your debt is paid off.
- Re-evaluate your insurance deductibles, phone service, etc. to make sure you have the best plan to meet your needs at the lowest cost.
- Evaluate how you spend your time, and see if you can pick up some extra work hours for extra cash.
Remember that worrying won't pay the bills. Instead take that energy and make a plan then stick to it.
Page last modified September 14, 2010