Laker Help Link
Improving Your Study Skills
Tips for improving study skills:
- Find a place free of distractions and interruptions (like the library), and set aside a specific time to study regularly.
- Study more difficult subjects when you are more alert.
- Most people lose their attention or focus after 50 minutes, so take short 10 minute study breaks while studying to improve concentration.
- Read assignments, go to class, take notes and ask questions.
- Form a discussion or study group.
- Create study cards, or a concept map to analyze, compare, contrast, and summarize main points.
- Take advantage of the resources available on campus (Tutoring Center, Writing Center, Math Lab, etc.)
For more information:
GVSU Advising Resources & Special Programs
GVSU Counseling & Career Development Center
For additional tips, visit www.how-to-study.com.
Page last modified September 22, 2010