Laker Help Link
Exercising While Pregnant
Although pregnancy might leave you feeling more tired than usual, your body can still benefit from low to moderate intensity exercise.
Here are some tips when "exercising for two":
- Consult your doctor before beginning a new exercise program or significantly increasing activity.
- During pregnancy, you should increase your daily calorie intake by about 300 calories. If you are exercising regularly, be sure to get an adequate diet.
- Non weight-bearing exercises are excellent choices for comfort and balance, including swimming, water exercise, and stationary biking. Walking and yoga are also recommended.
- Never exercise to fatigue or exhaustion.
- Do not exercise on your back after the 1st trimester.
- Use caution when exercising in hot weather to avoid getting overheated, and drink plenty of water.
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms of complications.
Page last modified September 14, 2010