Laker Help Link
Dealing with Loneliness
Loneliness is a painful awareness that you are not feeling connected to others and important needs are not being met.
What are some suggestions for someone who is feeling lonely?
- Look for ways to get involved with people in your daily routine. Eat with others, sit with new people in class, or find a study or exercise partner.
- Put yourself in new situations where you will meet new people.
- Make use of campus resources. Find out about organizations and activities on campus.
- Don't judge new people on the basis of past relationships. Try to see each person you meet from a new perspective.
- Think of alone time as an opportunity to develop independence and to learn to take care of your own emotional needs.
- Keep things in your environment (such as books, music) that you can use to enjoy in your alone time.
- Don't wait for your feelings to get you going - get going, and good feelings may eventually catch up with you.
GVSU Counseling & Career Development Center
Page last modified September 14, 2010