Importance of Advising
I have an appointment. Now what?
Make the most of your advising appointment and prepare ahead of time!
1. Take a look at resource materials, including the General Education Handbook and the Undergraduate Catalog . Pay special attention to your major or Gen Ed requirements that are not yet satisfied on your MyPath so you are familiar with them and can ask questions if you are unclear.
2. Write down goals you'd like to accomplish during your appointment. Be an active participant in your advising process. Seek your advisor's advice and recommendations about courses, course sequencing, campus resources, and other opportunities available to you. Your advisor is there provide you with the options, but remember that your path is yours to choose.
3. Create a tentative plan for yourself. Think about your work schedule and other responsibilities. Be prepared to discuss how to manage your course work and if you have special scheduling needs.
4. Be on time! Be sure you are on time (or early if possible) and know where you are going ahead of time. The KCON Office of Student Services is located in suite 326 of the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) building, part of the Pew/Grand Rapids campus. (Pew Campus Directions/Map). You may also be scheduled in our Allendale location in the Success Center in North C Living Center (Allendale Campus Directions/Map). If you are late we may ask you to reschedule your appointment.
5. Take notes! During your advising session, you should take notes as well as keep copies of all documents you receive from the advisor. It’s important to help you remember what was discussed during your session (e.g., referral, next steps, etc.) and bring your notes to subsequent appointments.
The Office of Student Services (OSS) in KCON is comprised of dedicated, knowledgeable and student-centered professionals who are prepared to advise students well before they begin the nursing program and afterwards. Our staff is available to answer your questions, address your concerns, and provide you with the support you will need as you navigate the University, the admission process, and life as a nursing student.
Once you declare nursing as your major, you will be assigned a KCON Academic Advisor. You should meet with your advisor at least once per semester so we can assist you with degree planning, registration, admission issues; offer personal support and career guidance; and help you with any other GVSU issues.
“Academic advisors provide students with the needed connection to the various campus services and supply the essential academic connection between these services and the students. In addition, academic advisors offer students the personal connection to the institution that the research indicates is vital to student retention and student success.” (Nutt, 2003). So come see us! We will make every effort to reach out to you, offer relevant programming, and keep you informed of important information, but nothing replaces the experience of a one-on-one advising session. We’re here to help – please let us!