In order to make the most of your advising appointment, we highly recommend preparing ahead of time! Here is a short list of things you can do to make the most of your time with your advisor:
1. Take a look at resource materials, including the General Education Handbook and the Undergraduate Catalog (note: be sure to select the catalog that matches your entrance year to GVSU). You may want to pay special attention to your major or Gen Ed requirements that are not yet satisfied on your MyPath so you are familiar with them or can ask questions if you are unclear.
2. Write down 2 or 3 questions or goals you'd like to accomplish during your appointment. Be an active participant in the advising process. Seek your advisor's advice and recommendations about courses, course sequencing, campus resources, and the rest. Your advisor is there to assist you in your choices, but remember that the final decision is yours.
3. Create a tentative schedule or plan for yourself. Think about your work schedule and other responsibilities. Be prepared to discuss what kind of course load you want to take on and if you have special scheduling issues or needs.
4. Be on time! If you have an appointment scheduled, make sure you are on time. You might even want to show up early if possible. Also, know where you are going ahead of time. We are located in 326 CHS on the Pew/Grand Rapids campus. (Pew Campus Directions/Map). You may also be scheduled in our Allendale location in the Success Center in North C Living Center (Allendale Campus Directions/Map). If you are late we may ask you to reschedule your appointment so the next student isn't kept waiting.
5. Take notes! During your advising session you should take notes and keep copies of all documents you receive so that you are reminded about what was discussed during your session (e.g., referral, next steps, etc.). Consider creating an advising folder/notebook that you bring back to your next appointment!
The Office of Student Services (OSS) in KCON is comprised of dedicated, knowledgeable and student-centered professionals who are prepared to advise students well before they begin the nursing program and afterwards. Our staff is available to answer your questions, address your concerns, and provide you with the support you will need as you navigate the University, the admission process, and life as a nursing student.
Once you declare nursing as your major, you will be assigned a KCON Academic Advisor. You should meet with your advisor at least once per semester so we can assist you with degree planning, registration, admission issues; offer personal support and career guidance; and help you with any other GVSU issues.
“Academic advisors provide students with the needed connection to the various campus services and supply the essential academic connection between these services and the students. In addition, academic advisors offer students the personal connection to the institution that the research indicates is vital to student retention and student success.” (Nutt, 2003). So come see us! We will make every effort to reach out to you, offer relevant programming, and keep you informed of important information, but nothing replaces the experience of a one-on-one advising session. We’re here to help – please let us!