Installing a Network Printer
Click here to download a PDF version of this tutorial.
To install a network printer, you first have to open the GVSU Printers folder. There are a few methods you can use to get to this folder. Once you have found and opened the GVSU Printers folder, you can skip down to the next main bullet point.
- When your computer is first setup, the GVSU Printers folder appears on your desktop. If you find it on, your Desktop, double-click it to open.
- If you do not see the GVSU Printers folder on your Desktop, there may be another folder that is also placed on your desktop during the initial setup. This is the OFFICE DFS folder. If you see that folder on your desktop, double-click it to open in. Inside, you should see the GVSU Printers folder. Double-click that folder as well to open it.
- If you do not see either of these folders, click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen. From here, click on Computer. Once this window opens, click in the address bar at the top of the window and delete anything that is there. Once you have done this, type the following into the address bar and hit enter: \\office\dfs\gvsu-printers.
- Once you have the GVSU Printers folder open, you should have a window similar to the one below. It will have a folder with your department name. This is where your department printers are located. There should also be a XEROX Copiers folder. This is where you can install a Xerox copier/printer if your office has one.
- Double-clicking the folder with your department name will open a folder similar to the one below.
- To install a printer once inside the Department folder, find the printer you wish to install and double-click the link. *The same is done for the Xerox printers.
- It may take a moment, but you will see a popup like the one below.
- If the computer needs to install the printer driver, you will see a message like the one below. Click install driver. Another screen will appear that shows the driver being installed.
- Once the printer is installed and ready to use, the print queue window will appear. You can just close this window and begin printing.
Page last modified October 31, 2012