Change GVSU Network Password
Click here to download a PDF version of this tutorial.
Note: Your GVSU network password expires every 6 months. You will be notified by email when it gets close (about 2 weeks) to expiring. If you do not change this password before the expiration date, you will lose the ability to connect to any GVSU systems that require a GVSU username/network password.
Note: If you have a mobile device that accesses email and/or WIFI, (such as an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android smartphone, non-GVSU personal computer, etc.), please be aware that the password must be changed on that device as well (possibly in 2 places: email and WIFI). If you do not change the password on the mobile device, it may lock you out of your account.
Beginning February 4, 2013 and forward, the network password policy will require at least one uppercase character, one lowercase character and one number. All new passwords and password reset procedures for your GVSU network account will have the following password policies:
- Minimum 8 characters in length
- English uppercase character(s) (A-Z)
- English lowercase character(s) (a-z)
- Base 10 digit(s) (0-9)
- Must not contain the user name or network account name
- The system will remember the last 13 passwords and not allow re-use of that password.
- You may change your password multiple times without restrictions within the 180 days.
- Note: DO NOT use spaces as some applications do not currently allow for spaces in the password
There are two ways to change your password depending on your location.
(1) On Campus
******* Windows 7 Users *******
- Login to your computer, wait until the desktop appears.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select Change a Password.
- Enter your old password and then the new password in the new password box and the confirm password box.
- Click the button with the right arrow in it and it will confirm that your password has been changed.
******* Macintosh OS X (on Active Directory) Users *******
- Login to your computer.
- You will get a notice on startup after loggin in that your password will expire in a certain number of day, and a button exists to Change Password.
- Click Change Password.
- Enter your old password and then the new password in the new password box and then confirm new password.
- Click the OK button and it will confirm that your password has been changed.
- After that, a dialogue box appears asking if you want to Update the Keychain with the new information; select Update.
- You will be asked to enter your previous (old) password, so the Mac can update the Keychain to the new password.
(2) Off Campus
******* Using the Outlook Web Client *******
- Login to Outlook from the web at http://mail.exchange.gvsu.edu.
- Click on the word Options in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select Change your Password from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your old password and the new password.
- Confirm the new password and click Save.
- The screen should come back with a message - Password Saved.
- Close the window and you will have changed your password.
Page last modified January 23, 2013