NOTE: Public computers offered at GVSU should not be used for sensitive data communications.
NO FOOD OR DRINK
Water in a container with a screw-on cap is permitted.
NO CELL PHONE USE
Phones must be set to ring silently. Move outside the lab to make or receive a call.
NO GAMES OR INSTANT MESSAGING
Games and instant messaging are prohibited.
DO NOT DISTURB OTHER LAB USERS
All labs are Quiet Labs unless indicated otherwise. Keep conversation and other noise to a minimum. Please use a Group Lab for working in groups.
LEAVE YOUR WORKSTATION IN GOOD CONDITION
The monitor and keyboard should be centered with respect to the chair. The mouse should be near the front edge of the desk. The monitor should be turned on. The chair should be pushed in, and there should be no papers or debris on the desk.
KEEP SMALL CHILDREN UNDER CONTROL
For the sake of lab users and the integrity of lab equipment, we ask that lab users with small children keep them quiet and under control.
DO NOT MODIFY LAB EQUIPMENT
Do not modify or reconfigure any equipment for any reason. If you need to set up equipment, see a Lab Assistant or call the Help Desk.
REPORT ALL PROBLEMS
Report all problems with computers, software, and audio/video equipment to a Lab Assistant or to the Help Desk. Do not try to fix anything yourself.
Print only the part of a document that you need. In PowerPoint, print at least 3 slides to a page. Use only the provided paper; do not use envelopes or specialty paper. Multiple copies of documents not related to class are prohibited.
LAB ASSISTANTS CANNOT DO CLASSWORK
For assistance with an assignment, consult an instructor, a classmate, or another academic resource.
Failure to follow these or any other lab rules may result in a loss of lab privileges.
GVSU student computer labs are located on the Allendale, Grand Rapids, and Holland Campuses. Click for Additional Information.
Approximately 15 percent of the computers on the campuses are available to students 24/7, and all lab machines are connected to the internet. Any student, faculty, or staff with a valid network account login will have access to the labs.
Login & Logout Information
- Your network User Id is the same as your GVSU account, e.g. smithj
- Your network password is the same as your GVSU account password.
- If your password doesn't work the very first time you try it in the labs, you may have to synchronize the network password to GVSU. Login with the user ID and Password both set to 'pwdreset'. You will be directed to the Banner SSB login page where you can login with you G# and PIN and then reset your Network Password.
- Enter your network User ID followed by '@office'. Note: Do not enter your department container for the login process in the Vista labs. Enter your network password.
Make sure you properly logoff of the network before leaving the computer.
Students in Macintosh Labs can logout by selecting the Apple icon at the top-left of the screen and choosing Logout.
Click for Available Information
- All GVSU students have 500 meg of storage space available on the network located on the N: drive.
- Faculty/Staff can also access the N: drive and other drives they normally map to.
- All lab machines have USB ports, CD-RW/DVD players, head phone jacks and microphone slots.
- Access to your personal data storage from off-campus through vpn.student.gvsu.edu and entering your GVSU network Id and password
For questions and concerns, please contact the Helpdesk at 616-331-2101.
Page last modified August 7, 2012