Kaufman Interfaith Institute
Congregational Involvement in 2012
Congregations Council Purpose and Premise
Purpose The Congregations Council will recruit and encourage congregations/faith groups to participate in the 2012 Year of Interfaith Understanding as part of a community-wide celebration of different faiths; by participating in various "expressions" of interfaith understanding, and by learning and understanding more about each other through education, dialogue, communication and partnerships, in order that individuals and congregations will:
- Take and Sustain Action for the Community Good
- Move from Tolerance to Acceptance of Each Other as People of Faith
- Be an Expression of a Community that Values Diversity and respect for Each Person
Premise An Interfaith Expression will promote dialogue and/or cooperative action in a spirit of understanding and learning about other persons and faiths. Specifically, interfaith expressions will not proselytize nor disparage nor be conducted at the expense of another faith or tradition.
Support The Congregational sponsor is responsible for all arrangements and promotion of its own expression of interfaith understanding. The 2012 Year of Interfaith Understanding project, through the Kaufman Interfaith Institute at Grand Valley State University, will provide support in the following ways:
- Listing registered expression on the website and on the calendar
- Promote the various expressions in its general promotion of the project
- Insure a balance among all the expressions to recognize the full spectrum of faith traditions in the community
- Provide a listing of resources and referrals on the website for the assistance of sponsors and for general information
- Assist in linking various groups who are seeking partners for their expressions
- Assist in seeking funding or mini-grants to assist congregations in supporting the various interfaith expressions.
Page last modified June 29, 2011