Career Development and Exploration / Employability Skills
- Describe opportunities for careers in nonprofit youth and human services management.
- Discuss the realities of the entry-level employment market including opportunities for growth, the need for relocation and expected salary ranges.
- Describe the changing nature of work in the nonprofit sector.
- Communicate the primary focus of the mission for three or four of American Humanics 17 national/nonprofit partners.
- Identify one's own personal and professional development needs.
- Prepare appropriate job-search correspondence.
- Research an organization to determine compatibility with personal values and goals.
- Prepare for an interview.
- Exhibit appropriate personal appearance.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing skills.
- Demonstrate appropriate interview follow-up practices.
- Use effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- Use proper grammar and vocabulary in written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate effective public speaking skills.
- Use effective listening techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to address members of various constituent groups appropriately.
- Explain the importance of cross-cultural communication skills.
- Develop positive working relationships with staff and volunteers.
- Handle constituent requests.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve conflicts.
- Explain the importance of understanding group dynamics.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate initiative.
- Demonstrate commitment to the mission of an organization.
- Exhibit responsible behavior.
- Discuss the importance of ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity.
- Explain the importance of a commitment to service.
- Explain the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
- Explain the importance of accountability in a nonprofit organization.
Historical and Philosophical Foundations / General Nonprofit Management
- Describe the role of nonprofit organizations to meet human service needs in American society.
- Describe the philanthropic structure of nonprofit organizations.
- Explain the importance of a mission orientation for nonprofit organizations.
- Discuss the personal rewards of a career in nonprofit youth and human service.
- Demonstrate ability to be an effective team member.
- Demonstrate time-management skills.
- Utilize effective techniques for problem-solving.
- Exhibit effective decision-making.
- Demonstrate effective supervisory skills.
- Explain the importance of building an organization that acts with the interests of clients in mind.
- Explain the importance of developing services that effectively respond to diversity in the community.
- Explain the importance of collaborating with other nonprofit organizations to meet community needs.
- Possess basic knowledge of nonprofit management trends.
Professional Development Competencies
- Explain the purpose and structure of nonprofit boards and their relationship(s) to the organization.
- Discuss strategies for determining staff support needs for committees and boards.
- Explain techniques for the recruitment of volunteers to serve on committees.
- Discuss the importance of providing supervision and support for committee and board members.
- Discuss strategies for recruiting members to the board of directors.
- Explain the importance of fostering board/ volunteer/staff relationships.
- Explain the importance of board recognition and evaluation.
Fundraising Principles and Practices
- Discuss the importance of developing fundraising activities that support the mission of the organization.
- Explain ethical considerations and accountability of funds, which should guide fundraising efforts for the organization.
- Plan fundraising activities.
- Conduct fundraising activities.
- Evaluate fundraising effectiveness.
- Identify the segments of donors that may support an organization.
- Discuss factors that may motivate donors and concerns that donors may have.
- Explain strategies for securing in-kind support.
- Develop grant proposals.
- Explain techniques for recognizing donations.
Human Resource Development and Supervision
- Identify factors that motivate individuals to volunteer their services to a nonprofit.
- Identify sources for staff/volunteer recruitment.
- Explain strategies for the recruitment of staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for selecting staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for providing an orientation to staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for training staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for motivating staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for supervising staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for evaluating staff and volunteers.
- Explain strategies for recognizing staff and volunteers
- Explain strategies for terminating staff and volunteers.
- Explain the importance of delegation as a technique for the effective utilization of staff and volunteer talents.
- Exhibit basic knowledge of human resources issues.
Nonprofit Accounting and Financial Management
- Describe correct procedures for handling cash.
- Explain the importance of policies and procedures for requisitioning.
- Explain procedures for developing a program budget.
- Explain the importance of reporting mechanisms and requirements.
- Read and interpret financial statements.
- Explain the importance of a marketing philosophy in a nonprofit organization.
- Explain the nature of public relations activities for nonprofit organizations.
- Explain the role of community outreach activities.
- Develop strategies for obtaining client feedback.
- Discuss strategies for conducting a community needs assessment.
- Explain the importance of maintaining information systems.
Nonprofit Program Planning
- Describe the process for developing and implementing new programs.
- Explain the importance of planning programs that are consistent with the mission of a nonprofit organization.
- Discuss the importance of planning programs that are consistent with community goals and diverse cultural values.
- Explain various youth and human service implementation models.
- Explain strategies for facilitating team building among program staff.
- Discuss scheduling considerations for both staff and activities.
- Describe how programs may be promoted accessing various channels.
- Discuss criteria for evaluating program outcomes.
Nonprofit Risk Management
- Explain the role and importance of risk management to the overall organizational management plan.
- Explain the importance of a working knowledge of nonprofit and employment law and regulations.
- Explain the importance of understanding policy and procedures to follow in the case of crisis incidents.
- Explain the importance of recognizing red flags and engaging in appropriate follow-up for child protection issues.
- Explain effective risk-and crisis-management procedures.
- Follow personal precautions in an effort to minimize personal and organizational liability and vulnerability.