HRRC procedures require that all proposed research protocols must be authorized by a responsible GVSU administrative authority prior to HRRC review and approval. HRRC review of proposed research will not be initiated until signatures from all required authorizing officials (AO) have been recorded on IRBNet.
- Deans: the AO is the Provost or his/her designee.
- Unit heads: the AO is the appointing Dean or the Dean's designee.
- Faculty members: the AO is the academic unit head or his/her designee.
- Staff members: the AO is the unit head or program supervisor.
- Students: the AO is their research project faculty advisor, who may be different from their academic advisor. In some academic units student investigators must secure authorization to conduct independent research from both their research advisor and the appropriate unit head. Students should consult with their research advisor to determine which authorizations are required.
- Research involving teams of GVSU varsity student athletes: authorization from the head athletic trainer is required in addition to all other authorizing official signatures.