Title: Business Services Coordinator
Department: Business Services Office
Approximately 50% of the position is to coordinate and provide support for the Director of Business Services performing non-routine office functions which substantially contribute to the units objectives.
Approximately 50% of the position is to support the Procurement Services team and provide quality customer service in which discretion concerning the universities policy and procedures is required.
- Maintains processes and manipulates data on personal computer using work processing, data base and spreadsheet software.
- Edits correspondence, reports and materials for publication.
- Develops, prepares, and/or composes responses to memos correspondence requiring research, judgment and discretion; occasionally writes, edits and submits materials for internal/external communications.
- Maintains and analyzes budgetary records by performing bookkeeping related duties such as reconciling, monitoring, making, and tracking expenditures, sales, commissions, etc.
- Acts with high degree of independence as liaison with inside and outside contacts and in preparing meeting materials, minutes, programs, updates, recruiting, and other support functions related to work area.
- Assists faculty and staff with administrative problems or concerns.
- Provides insurance information to students and prospective students and their parents of a complex nature, as well as to outside agencies, visitors, etc.
- Performs administrative work of a confidential nature for the Director. Including originating correspondence, claims reports, certificates of insurance reports, insurance applications, exposure summaries and other materials.
- Responsible for scheduling appointments for the Director of Business Services calendar, special events, and unit events.
- Disseminate information that required explanation and interpretation of university and departmental policy and procedures. Direct individuals to sources of additional information.
- Process various electronic purchasing documents and determine the appropriate method of processing in a time-sensitive manner. Review all documents for completeness, accuracy, approval and compliance with university purchasing policy and procedures.
- Enter requisition data to the Banner purchasing system generating purchase orders. Print, proof, separate, and distribute the purchase order copies.
- Process purchase order change orders and requisition deletions as necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Business Services
- Schedule and coordinate special events and functions.
- Order office supplies.
- Prepare reports for Administration.
- Organize unit files and archives.
- Hires and supervises student employees as may be necessary.
- Expediting; assist with establishing new vendor direct-bill accounts; distribute credit application and tax exempt information; follow up on delinquent purchase orders with the vendor.
- Troubleshooting; reconcile discrepancies between purchase order, receiving report and invoice; reconcile damage claims, returns and errors; secure credit memos from vendors.
- Assist with identifying and reporting responsible departments for non-compliant purchasing practices.
- Process and circulate vendor profile documents.
- High school graduate.
- Three years of related work experience and/or relevant training.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, balance changing priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience in maintaining positive interpersonal relationships.
- Experience in performing mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Experience in performing accurate data entry.
- Experience in operating office equipment.
- Proficiency with electronic mail systems and Microsoft Office Suite applications; Work and Excel.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Some college course work.
- Experience in insurance and risk management.
- Experience in basic accounting principles.
- Experience with web-based and e-commerce applications.
- Supervisory experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications: Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Experience with Sungard Higher Education ERP System-Banner Finance Solution.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees as may be required.
Receives general instructions from both the Director of Business Services and the Procurement Services Manager, but is generally expected to work independently. Jointly reports to the Director of Business Services and the Director of Procurement Services.
Revised Date: March 2009
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.