Title: Administrative Assistant-Vice Provost & Dean of Academic Services & Information Technology
Department: Academic Services & Information Technology
Acts as a general assistant to a Dean or Appointing Officer and the Associate Director of Administrative operations, performing non-routine office functions which substantially contribute to the units or divisions objectives.
- Assist Dean, Appointing Officer or Associate Director in carrying out the office operation responsibilities.
- Responsible for specific projects conducted by the unit which may involve planning and coordinating work, analyzing data, preparing reports, making recommendations and other duties associated with the successful completion of a project.
- Performs administrative work of a confidential nature for the Dean, Appointing Officer, or Associate Director.
- Responsible for scheduling appointments which may include the Dean, Appointing Officer, Associate Director’s calendar, academic scheduling, divisional events and special events.
- Understand and participate in enrollment and retention goals.
- Acts as a liaison to the University for Administrative Operations of the division.
- Maintains and analyzes set of complex budgetary records by performing bookkeeping related duties such as reconciling, monitoring, making and tracking expenditures, preparing budget statements regarding the status of accounts, making recommendations as to the projected budgets.
- Acts with high degree of independence as liaison with inside and outside contacts and in preparing meeting materials, minutes, programs, updates, recruiting and other support functions related to work area.
- Responsible for confidential employment hiring processes, including contracts and appointment letters.
- Assists with students.
- Edits correspondence, reports and materials for publications and proposals.
- Develops, prepares, and/or composes responses to memos and correspondence requiring research, judgment and discretion; routinely writes, edits, and submits materials for internal/external communications.
- Provides information to students and prospective students of a complex nature, as well as to outside agencies, visitors, etc.
- Assist with the marketing of events and programs.
- Supervises student employees.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- May perform duties characteristic of lower level clerical office classifications on a limited basis.
- Process forms, i.e. I-9, IDC, requisitions, and travel vouchers.
- High school graduate.
- Experience in a position which required demonstration of administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience in MS Office Suite and Outlook.
- Experience in working in a diverse environment.
- Experience in providing quality customer service.
- Experience in documentation of processes and training others.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience and understanding of Academic Services which includes Admissions, Records & Registration, Financial Aid and Information Technology.
- Experience using Onbase, Banner Student, myPath.
- Experience in interpersonal relationships, including ability to mentor and guide students.
- Experience in coordinating large projects.
- Bachelors degree.
Receives minimal supervision from a designated supervisor. Much of the work is self-initiated. Person is expected to function with considerable independence within given general assignments of responsibility.
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COTs, but is not the decision maker.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Revised Date: November 2013
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.