Title: Facilities Planning Assistant
Department: Facilities Planning
Provide accounting support for Facilities Planning staff and maintain accurate accounting records for capital projects. Oversees the clerical operation of the Facilities Planning Department.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities: (Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
- Handles all financial paperwork for capital projects, including purchase orders and other transaction documents.
- Responsible for on-line requisitioning for Facilities Planning.
- Monitors expenditures against 100-200 accounts totaling $35 - $100 million.
- Understands and interprets data from the mainframe FRS system.
- Reconciles budget reports with internal records. Investigates discrepancies and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Collects project status update information from project managers and prepares summary.
- Assists in tracking budget expenditures in capital project accounts and alerts Director to concerns.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly reports on capital project expenditures for distribution to project managers.
- Works with Business Office to prepare quarterly Treasurer's Report for Board of Trustees.
- Develops and maintains historical capital project budget and cost data for the unit.
- Prepares project financial status reports as requested by project managers.
- Develops and maintains Facilities Planning Web site.
- Works with Director and architectural firms to inventory and track architectural renderings (hard copy and electronic), presentation boards, photographs and CAD files for new projects.
- Directs the work of other clerical staff and students within Facilities Planning.
- Provides clerical support for the Director of Facilities Planning.
- Assists director with preparation of articles for campus publications, i.e. Forum, brochures, Lanthorn.
- Assists Space Analyst with operation of facilities management software system.
- Prepares special reports as requested by Assistant Vice President, Director and Assistant Director.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of four years related office experience. Related college course work may be considered in lieu of some of the experience requirement.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully handle multiple demands efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Thorough knowledge of spreadsheet applications is essential.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience in a supervisory capacity.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
- Bachelor's degree in business or accounting.
- Higher education work experience.
- Familiarity with fund accounting methods.
- Familiarity with office operations in an architectural or construction firm.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Supervised by a designated supervisor (Director of Facilities Planning), but is expected to work independently and apply appropriate policies and procedures within the assigned area of responsibility.
Supervision Exercised:(Whom do you supervise?)
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COT's, but is not the decision maker.
Revised Date: September 1997
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.