Title: Customer Service Coordinator - Bookstore
Coordinate cashiering and service desk functions and provide clerical support for the bookstore. Assist bookstore manager in organizing information, making appointments, and allocating resources.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
- Assist customers in person and on the telephone.
- Hire, train, schedule and supervise student and temporary cashiers and service desk employees.
- Maintain change fund in cash drawers and supervise cashier reconciliation after each shift.
- Supervise bookstore service desk and assist customers with returns or exchanges.
- Greet visitors and callers for store manager. Assist, refer, or take messages as appropriate.
- Monitor store security and notify campus safety and supervisor of suspected incidents of retail fraud.
- Maintain student employee records: process and sign time cards, record training and payroll records, authorize and terminate students from payroll, and distribute pay checks.
- Establish and maintain filing and record keeping systems for store manager and department.
- Maintain department inventory of supplies, forms, stationery, etc.
- Prepare requisitions and approve invoices for items purchased.
- Coordinate Bookstore calendar.
- Coordinate daily book-buy-back.
- Monitor supply of gift cards and purchase as needed.
- Coordinate advance textbook orders.
- Order graduation announcements.
- Order regalia for faculty and students.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
(Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of less than 5% of your job.)
- Review donation requests and allocate donations based on established criteria and in consultation with store manager.
- Order postage stamps and maintain inventory for resale.
- Review department telephone charges and bill employees for personal calls.
- Schedule room reservations for department meetings.
- Make department travel arrangements as required.
- Perform duties associated with bookstore opening and closing and oversee entire bookstore operation on selected evenings and weekends as required by rotating schedule.
- Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate
- Minimum of three years retail experience with bookstore experience and/or relevant training.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule with some evening and weekend hours.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
- Some college course work.
- Higher education experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Some experience in a retail shipping/receiving environment.
- Familiarity with college store database management systems.
- Familiarity with materials handling equipment and procedures.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Receives general instruction from a designated supervisor, but is generally expected to work independently.
Supervision Exercised: (Whom do you supervise?)
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COTs, but it not the decision maker.
Revised Date: January 2002
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.