Title: Academic Department Coordinator
Job Summary: (Short summary of job duties - 1 to 2 sentences)
Coordinates a variety of duties for a department/office in which discretion and judgment concerning the procedures to use or policies to follow is required.
Primary Duties & Global Responsibilities: (Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of more than 5% of your job.)
- Receives information in various forms and determines the appropriate method of processing.
- Responsible for the coordination/ completion and the quality of the clerical work for the department/office which includes answering telephones, providing information, or routing calls to appropriate person; open and route incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail, including bulk mailings; typing memos and other correspondence; maintain office filing system.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining and updating filing information, record keeping systems; paper and/or computer.
- Compiles and logically formats statistical data and reports.
- Disseminates information that may require explanation and interpretation of established university and departmental policies and procedures, and directs individuals to sources of additional information.
- Monitor departmental FRS, reviews budget reports, and reconciles the reports with the department/office's records.
- Generates reports, memorandums, correspondence, presentation materials, brochures, spreadsheets and graphics, and other similar materials using various computer systems.
- Coordinate all clerical duties associated with staff searches.
- Responsible for ordering office supplies; processing travel vouchers, requisitions, IDC's, I-9's and other various university forms.
- Supervise student employees and may act as lead worker for other COT's.
- Process student employee timecards and maintain appropriate records monitoring available dollars.
- Maintain/schedule for orientation/advising/special projects/programs/events for departments.
- Acts as liaison between department chair, faculty, staff, students and outside agencies and organizations. Performs and coordinates scheduling tasks and support services associated with preparing and making arrangements for major meetings, conferences, exhibits, travel, or other related duties for both internal and external contacts
- Manage/maintain supervisor's schedule.
- Coordinate grade distribution and processing.
- Assist in academic year scheduling of courses, classrooms, times, and faculty for the department.
- Coordinate student evaluation process for faculty.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities: (Must be able to perform these duties; usually consist of less than 5% of your job.)
- Textbook orders for faculty.
- Make travel arrangements for staff.
- Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Minimum of three years of related work experience and/or relevant training.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain positive interpersonal relationships and work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully operate office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully provide quality customer service.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully maintain satisfactory work performance and attendance records.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
Type 50 wpm accurately; spelling competency (minimum 80% accuracy).
- Demonstrated experience to successfully use various computer software applications.
- Demonstrated experience to successfully work independently, organize own work and coordinate work activities of others.
- Excellent grammar and proofreading skills.
Desired Qualifications: (Preferred in addition to required qualifications.)
- Some college course work.
- Experience in higher education.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Supervision Received: (Who provides supervision?)
Receives general instruction from a designated supervisor but is generally expected to work independently.
Supervision Exercised: (Whom do you supervise?)
Hire, train, supervise, schedule and coordinate the work of student employees and may act as lead worker to other COT staff members within the department/unit/division. May participate in personnel decisions, such as hiring, terminating, disciplining and evaluating of COT's, but is not the decision maker.
Revised Date: September 1997
For questions regarding employment, email Human Resources Employment Information. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center 1-800-649-3777.