Skip to main content

If you are arrested

This page is for informational purposes only

Legal Information

District Court Info


  • Right to have an attorney, including a court appointed if you are indigent
  • Right to be advised of charges against you
  • Right to not be questioned by a law enforcement officer if an attorney is requested
  • Right to have bond set within a reasonable time

If arrested for OWI (operating a motor vehicle under the influence of intoxicating liquor) or
impaired driving, there is a detoxification period before you are released.

Court advice of Rights Form


If brought to court, the following are your procedural rights:

  • Representation by an attorney
  • Enter a plea of guilty or not guilty to the charge
  • Request a trial by judge or jury
  • Presumption of innocence until proven guilty
  • If you plead guilty, you give up the rights listed above and there will not be a trial.

If you request a trial, you are entitled to the following:

  • Call witnesses on your behalf
  • Request the court issue subpoenas to serve upon witnesses
  • Cross examine the witness(es) against you
  • Be a witness on your own behalf or remain silent
  • Charges against you must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt

If you are charged with a felony, contact an attorney as soon as possible for legal advice as to your rights.