Love Your Body Week begins Monday
Posted on February 22, 2013
The Women’s Center will host a week of events from February 25-March 1 to celebrate Love Your Body Week.
Among the events will be a photo display that was in ArtPrize last year that portrays diverse groups of people in relation to body image. “I Am Human” will be featured in the Women’s Center Wednesday, February 27, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; a reception will take place at noon. The display was created by Kristen Brenzón, a photographer from New Zealand, for the Michigan Eating Disorder Alliance.
“The display was made to raise awareness of how social media defines body perfection,” said Jo Ann Wassenaar, associate director of the Women’s Center. Opening remarks will be given by Gail Hall, a local therapist who works with individuals who struggle with eating disorders.
Events are free and open to the public. Visit www.gvsu.edu/women_cen for more information.
• Feel Comfortable in Your Genes; February 25 and February 28, noon-5 p.m., Kirkhof Center Lobby
• “Beauty Mark” film screening and discussion: February 25, 3 p.m., Kirkhof Center, room 2263
The film is about self-image and the disconnect between minds and bodies. A discussion with Julia Mason, assistant professor of women and gender studies, will follow.
• “Miss Representation” film screening and discussion; February 25, 6 p.m., Kirkhof Center, room 2215
• The Sociology of Food; February 26, 5 p.m., Kirkhof Center, room 2263
Jennifer Stewart, associate professor of sociology, will highlight ways societal views of food affect the prevalence of eating disorders in American culture.
• From Body Hater to Body Celebrator; February 27, 7 p.m., Kirkhof Center, Pere Marquette Room
Amber Krzys is a motivational speaker who helps young men and women with self confidence and negative body images. Approved for LIB 100 classes.