GVSU, SVSU face off in 11th annual Battle of the Valleys
Posted on November 07, 2013
Grand Valley State University and Saginaw Valley State University will compete in the 11th annual Battle of the Valleys from November 10-16 to raise the most donations for a selected organization.
This year, Grand Valley will raise donations for S.P.O.R.T.S. (Students Providing Opportunities and Recreation Through Sports), the first student-run organization beneficiary since the competition began. S.P.O.R.T.S., founded by Grand Valley student Tyler Kinch, is a nonprofit organization that works to bring sports to underprivileged children. Watch here to learn more about S.P.O.R.T.S.
The winner will be announced at halftime during the Grand Valley vs. Saginaw Valley football game at Lubbers Stadium November 16.
Students, faculty and staff members can donate online or buy a T-shirt. A variety of events will take place throughout the week. Event details are online at www.gvsu.edu/battleofthevalleys.
- Sunday, November 10, 6 p.m., Cook Carillon Tower: 5k Glow Run, $11 registration fee
- Monday, November 11, 3-4 p.m., Grand River Room, Kirkhof Center: Break a World Record. Students are invited to break a world record of students wearing the same shirt and sunglasses while dancing at the same time.
- Tuesday, November 12, 9-11 p.m., Pere Marquette Room, Kirkhof Center: GV’s Got Talent & Fashion Show, $5 per person
- Thursday, November 14, 10-2 p.m., Kirkhof Center: Jail n’ Bail, Post Family Farm’s donut fundraiser
- Friday, November 15, 9 p.m., Rec Center South Gym: Volleyball Tournament, $5 per person
Presented by Grand Valley’s Student Senate and Laker Traditions Team, Battle of the Valleys aims to develop school pride and bring together students to support a charitable cause.
Since Battle of the Valleys began in 2003, Grand Valley and Saginaw Valley have raised more than $390,000 in support of organizations like Make a Wish Foundation, Student Advancement Foundation, Boys & Girls Club of Saginaw County and United Way.