Lakers will 'Sail Away' during Homecoming
Posted on October 17, 2012
Grand Valley Lakers will "Come Sail Away," the theme of 2012 Homecoming, with a host of events that will run Friday and Saturday, October 19-20.
New to Homecoming this year is the Laker Lounge, a blue couch that will be set up on Saturday near Reunion Row where alumni can share their Grand Valley memories during brief interviews. Watch for the signs to Laker Lounge.
The Laker Homecoming 5K run/walk kicks off Saturday events. The race will begin by the Kelly Family Sports Center at 9 a.m.; a Kids Fun Run will begin at 10 a.m. Register for the event online at www.gvsu.edu/homecoming, click on Event Schedule. For more information, call Nick Polk at (616) 331-3660.
The weekend highlights are the football game, Saturday at 7 p.m. against Northwood University in Lubbers Stadium, and the Alumni Tailgate party, set to run from 4-6:45 p.m. at the outdoor basketball courts. Registration is required for the tailgate party; cost is $5 for adults, $3 for children 4-12.
Other events are detailed below. Some require admission, visit www.gvsu.edu/homecoming for more information.
Friday, October 19
• Irwin Athletic Fund Dinner/Laker Hall of Fame Ceremony: The 32nd annual ceremony welcomes the newest class into the Laker Hall of Fame. The event will begin at 5:45 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Grand River Room. The 2012 class is Bill Clinger (coach), Tracy Kirk (volleyball), Stephanie Kuhlman (cross country/track and field), Diriki Mose (football), Dustin Vugteveen (baseball) and Dale Westrick (football). Call (616) 331-8800 for ticket information.
• Women’s soccer against Northern Michigan, 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 20
• Pancake breakfast: 10 a.m., Lot F, near Kelly Family Sports Center. Admission is $5 for adults and children 13 and older, $3 for children 4-12. Register online or call (616) 331-3590.
• Crane Wives Concert: 4-6:45 p.m., outdoor basketball courts. The band of Laker alumni will perform songs from their debut album “Safe Ship Harbored.”
• Reunion Row: 4-6:45 p.m., outdoor basketball courts. Reunion Row allows groups and organizations to host returning alumni.