New Graduate Assistantship Rules
Beginning with Fall 2011 and academic year 2011-12 GA appointments, the rules below will be in place.
- Tuition waiver credit hours received for all GVSU graduate assistantships will be as follows:
- 9-month – 18 credit hours (F – 9, W – 9)
- 10-month – 21 credit hours (F – 9, W – 9, S/S – 3)
- 12-month – 24 credit hours (F – 9, W – 9, S/S – 6)
- Students will be limited to receiving a maximum of 9 credit hours of tuition waiver during the Fall and Winter semesters and a maximum of 6 credit hours of tuition waiver during the Spring/Summer semester.
- Unused tuition waiver credits may not be rolled over into subsequent semesters without approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Only full-time, 9-month graduate assistantships that are in academic units within academic colleges may be split into two half-time positions.
- Full-time, 10-month and 12-month graduate assistantships may only be split into two half-time positions with the prior approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Half-time, 9-month graduate assistantship positions will receive 6 credit hours of tuition waiver for both the Fall and Winter semester (12 credit hours total).
Students who have two half-time appointments will not receive a six-credit hour tuition waiver for each position, but will be limited to a maximum of 9 credit hours, as such appointments are counted as 1.0 full time position. Departments appointing students to half-time positions are asked to make them aware of this rule. The GA appointment form (aka “contract) spells this out, so students should be instructed to read and thoroughly understand the contract before signing.
Full-time GA positions with externally funded tuition may receive a tuition waiver of up to 12 credit hours, provided that the funder pays the full tuition. GA positions with externally funded stipends, but university-funded tuition, are limited to a maximum of 9 credit hours per #1 and #2 above.
Page last modified April 18, 2011