The Graduate Dean's Citations for Academic Excellence were created to recognize outstanding academic achievement of graduate students. Awards are given to students who have completed their program or are very close to completion.
The Graduate School began awarding the Dean's Citations in the Spring of 2006 at the first-ever Graduate Student Celebration. The ceremony is devoted exclusively to recognition of the academic excellence of graduate students during their studies at Grand Valley State University. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) co-hosts this event, which includes a reception and awards presentation.
In the ceremony, we recognize graduate students who have demonstrated excellence in their academic careers at GVSU. The Graduate Dean's Citations for Excellence also include university-wide recognition in these areas:
1) Academic Excellence in a Degree Program Award
2) Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award
3) Outstanding Master's Thesis Award
4) Outstanding Final Project Award
5) Outstanding Publication Award
6) Award for Excellence Service to the Community/Profession
7) Award for Excellence in Leadership/Service to GVSU
8) Award for Excellence in Promoting Inclusion and Diversity at GVSU
9) Award for Excellence in Sustainability
Graduate students who are graduating in the current semester are eligible for these awards.
Graduate students are nominated for these awards by their major advisors, the graduate program director, and the departmental chair or school director, and/or other faculty and staff engaged in graduate education that are familiar with the individual student's accomplishments in the specific areas noted. The nominees are reviewed by the Dean of The Graduate School in consultation with others involved in graduate education. Final selection is made by the Dean of the Graduate School. Each recipient is granted a certificate of recognition and a graduate honors cord.