Multicultural Greek Council
Membership Intake at Grand Valley State University
Intake is the membership selection process conducted by historically African American and Multicultural Greek-letter organizations, which are governed by the Multicultural Greek Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC).
Each chapter usually holds their membership intake process later in the academic year, as MGC and NPHC affiliated fraternities and sororities typically do not accept a student for membership until the student has completed at least 12-24 credit hours with a minimum GPA requirement set by each chapter. All fraternities and sororities at Grand Valley State University require a minimum of a 2.5 Cumulative Grade Point average.
MGC and NPHC chapters embrace a lifetime commitment philosophy and aim to assure the continuance of academic achievement, political awareness, and community service.
Top 5 Ways to Show Interest in an MGC/NPHC Chapter
1. Attend chapter sponsored programs and events.
2. Attend an Interest Meeting or Informational for that Chapter.
3. Get to know the members of the organization.
4. Research information about the group you are interested in, suggested methods include National Headquarters Websites, personal conversations with members, or resources listed below.
5. Show your own involvement on campus by getting involved in clubs, performing community service, taking on leadership roles, etc...
What about Hazing?
The University prohibits any student, acting alone or with others, to conspire to engage in hazing or to participate in hazing. Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created, whether on or off campus, for the purpose of initiation or affiliation with any organization or team which jeopardizes the physical and/or mental well being of any individual, or is, presumably, an illegal activity.
Freedom from humility and danger of hazing is guaranteed to every student on this campus. This policy includes individuals as well as whole chapters. Any violation of this policy should be reported immediately to the Office of Student Life, in which the situation will be referred to the appropriate judicial body and appropriate action will be taken.
All questions regarding membership intake can be sent to MGC.GVSU@gmail.com
Page last modified March 12, 2014