Admissions for Specialist in School Psychology
Please note that these are the minimum requirements and meeting them does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission is competitive, with approximately 12 students accepted each year. Program faculty will review all applications, and a select group of candidates will be invited for an interview.
Program requirements include:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Special Education, or a related field with a minimum 3.0 grade point average
- Successful completion of undergraduate prerequisite courses (Child Development, Statistics, and Research Methods)
- Satisfactory scores on the general Graduate Records Examination (GRE). The GRE will be waived for applicants who apply to the school psychology program and already have a master’s degree in psychology or education. The psychology subject area test is not required.
Applications need to be complete before they will be reviewed for admission. Applications received after the deadline will be considered if there is an opening for the upcoming fall cohort. A completed graduate application includes all University and Program Admission Requirements listed below.
University Application Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Submission of all required admission materials, including:
- Completed graduate application for admission
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (unless you have previously applied to Grand Valley)
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education previously attended. Transcripts must be sent from those institutions directly to the GVSU Admissions Office. NOTE: We do not require official transcripts from Grand Valley
- Test scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) for applicants whose native language is not English. Only original score reports will be accepted.
- DECEMBER 15 - Application Deadline
- JANUARY 15 - Notification of candidates selected for interview
Program Application Requirements
In addition to the University requirements, the following Program application requirements must be met:
- Professional vitae or resume
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A personal statement outlining your interest in the field of School Psychology and the program at Grand Valley State University, relevant experience, and your educational and professional goals (2-3 pages, double-spaced).
- Scores from the Graduate Records Exam (GRE). The subject test is not required.