There are prerequisites to the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (M.S.O.T) program. Please review before applying to ensure that you meet the requirements
A candidate may apply to only one program, either the Traditional or Hybrid Program, each year. Maximum class size for the Traditional Program is 30 and for the Hybrid Program is 24. Late applications will be considered assuming requirements are met and there is space in the program.
Admission to either program within the Occupational Therapy department requires:
- Completion of the Grand Valley State University graduate application, regardless of previous college attended
- All prerequisite courses completed and a bachelor's degree earned prior to entering the program. There will be no waivers or exceptions to this policy
- Completed applications and all Application Forms should be submitted by January 15 for both the traditional program and the OT Hybrid program.
Graduate School applications may be obtained from the university Admissions Office or can be completed online.
All paper application forms and supplemental application materials should be mailed to:
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Dr.
Allendale, MI 49401
Please call the Occupational Therapy Department to discuss your application and timeline.
Admissions Policy should be reviewed.
Completed application and the criteria to be met must include:
- Academic achievement of a minimum 3.0 GPA in preprofessional courses and in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. All preprofessional courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. Students are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Recommendation letters (two) are required. One must be completed by a registered occupational therapist and the other by a professor who is able to comment on your academic performance. A Graduate Assistant, Teaching Assistant, or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant do not qualify. For non-traditional students, an employer may be substituted for the academic professor requirement. The letters of recommendation (LOR) are now electronic with the instructions included in the graduate school application. If a student wishes to obtain a letter of recommendation prior to the senior year at the time of submitting the graduate school application, paper LORs are available. Click on the appropriate link for paper LORs:
- An interview and an onsite writing sample.
- Documented volunteer experience for a minimum of 50 hours under the supervision of an occupational therapist. (Mail this and all supplemental materials to the Admissions Office, 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401)
- Completion of Achievement Summary Form detailing student accomplishments that reflect the core goals of the program. (Mail this and all supplemental materials to the Admissions Office, 1 Campus Drive, Allendale, MI 49401)
- International student applicants should be able to communicate well in English. The following minimal scores are expected: TOEFL 610 or computer-based TOEFL 253.
Page last modified April 16, 2014